Finish Pass Issues

Tips, tricks and questions about the free Design and Make 3D Machinist from https://store.designandmake.com/ - Design & Make projects

Moderator: Todd Bailey

SimplyDifferent
Model of CNC Machine: Homebuilt

Finish Pass Issues

Post by SimplyDifferent »

Here is the Leaping Bass test cut I did in black walnut. The rough cut was fine but the finish cut went crazy. Also, the model was flipped opposite of what my screen shows. This is happening on all of my jobs.
Any suggestions!
Attachments
This is how it should be.
This is how it should be.
Deep side
Deep side
Shallow to deep
Shallow to deep
step in cut
step in cut

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Re: Finish Pass Issues

Post by Xxray »

Have you milled your spoilboard flat ?
Appears that your cutting surface is not perfectly flat ,,, And also possible you have issues with bit slipping in collet.
Also, what hold down method are you using ?

Just some preliminary guesses, I'm sure others will jump in with more possibilities.
Doug

COWBOY1296
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: SHOPBOT BUDDY PRS 32, 4 FT PWR STICK

Post by COWBOY1296 »

Just a thought. I know i have had z issues before when my brushes in my router were on the verge of burning out.

SimplyDifferent

The other cuts I have made have not cut on an angle like this. See my other post with the rose garland. It is a new router with only about 7 or 8 cuts on it and it has a precision collet on it. The hold down is a t-slot with hold downs.

I am completely stumped on this one. I attached two photos of "Eli". Not pretty but but it works.
Attachments
CNC Photo 1.jpg
CNC Photo 2.jpg

COWBOY1296
Vectric Wizard

Post by COWBOY1296 »

More then likely its not the artwork. I own that fish also so if you want to pm me your file i can get you a second set of eyes.

Of course if you flipped the artwork you still have to recalculate the tool path before saving it.

SimplyDifferent

COWBOY1296 wrote:More then likely its not the artwork. I own that fish also so if you want to pm me your file i can get you a second set of eyes.

Of course if you flipped the artwork you still have to recalculate the tool path before saving it.
For whatever reason I am not authorized to send PM's. As soon as I get this cleared up I will send them.

Thanks
Dan

COWBOY1296
Vectric Wizard

Post by COWBOY1296 »

rashwood@centurytel.net

I am sure i can open yours but if i make any changes you wont be able to open mine

esteeme1
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Cobra 404 ATC; ROMAX WD-1; Shark

Post by esteeme1 »

Even though Cowboy owns that fish it is a violation to send it. You will still need to get the licenser's permission to send it.

I'm looking at your file and believe you are loosing steps. I don't know how it was oriented on your machine so really couldn't tell you. and if this file is inverted you may want to check your controller. I'm guessing you are using mach3??? If you are using mach3 how does your preview compare to the file?
Jim Darlas
"Can Do!"
http://www.esteemedwoodcrafts.com/
http://www.esteemedplaques.com/

COWBOY1296
Vectric Wizard

Post by COWBOY1296 »

oopps thanks jim, i think. i thought as long as i owned it, which was part of my upgrade to 3.5 you could send it back and forth. i stand corrected.

esteeme1
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Cobra 404 ATC; ROMAX WD-1; Shark

Post by esteeme1 »

COWBOY1296 wrote:oopps thanks jim, i think. i thought as long as i owned it, which was part of my upgrade to 3.5 you could send it back and forth. i stand corrected.
Cowboy I'm not an enforcer I just didn't want to see anyone get in trouble. Sorry for my snappy response I just thought I should get that out there before a compromise occurred.
Jim Darlas
"Can Do!"
http://www.esteemedwoodcrafts.com/
http://www.esteemedplaques.com/

COWBOY1296
Vectric Wizard

Post by COWBOY1296 »

There are for more knowledgable people on here to answer your question than me. What Jim referred to in missing steps is pretty much the same thing that i referred to early with router problems perhaps caused by differant issues. If you can take screen shots why dont you post those on here of your roughing and finishing toolpaths.

Also what feed rate are you using?

Bob Reda
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot 48x48 upgraded prt

Post by Bob Reda »

I think we can safetly rule out the artwork being the problem. There are many folks who cut that model and I'm sure they don't have more than one model of that. It would have to be a computer or controller problem if it is doing what you show. you are losing steps and why it would flip it over all by itself I would only conclude it is the program theat is writhing the file.

Bob

COWBOY1296
Vectric Wizard

Post by COWBOY1296 »

@Bob, although i personally have never had this problem, but cant you feed your machine too fast and create a missing step issue. As stated above my missing steps was caused by a router with burnt out brushes.

Bob Reda
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot 48x48 upgraded prt

Post by Bob Reda »

running the machine too fast can and often does cause missing steps. Fliping the project over by itself I think would have to be a controller issue. I would suspect they are running Mach software and some settings are off or not set up correctly. I've never had the vectric software flip something like that on its own. I would need to know more about the machine, the post processor and any outside software.

Bob

SimplyDifferent

I am using Mach3. The machine is one I built and am trying to learn to use it properly. I have run lathes, milling machines and shapers quite a bit but not CNC. The software is a huge learning curve for me. I might have an MBA but this stuff is new to me. Many moons ago I took a class on NC machines, but that was the limit of my exposure. Most of the machine I have run since are computer controlled but are completely different than these machines.

The router is a new router with just about 6 or 8 test cuts on it. I would not doubt that I have something set up wrong in Mach3 as my Y axis is opposite of the arrow keys on my keyboard. Standing at the end of my machine facing it, the up arrow moves the Y axis to the right and the down arrow moves it to the left. My computer and keyboard are on a desk to the right of the machine, so I would think the up arrow would go to the left, away from me. It is just the opposite.

All of my cuts are opposite of what I think the orientation should be. Thanks to everyone's input, I have solved the issue of the finish pass not cleaning up the rough marks. I will attempt another of the jumping bass to see if I have it correct too. I will post the results Wednesday evening.

Thanks to all!!!!