Finish Pass Issues

Tips, tricks and questions about the free Design and Make 3D Machinist from https://store.designandmake.com/ - Design & Make projects

Moderator: Todd Bailey

glenn
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: home brew 40x20

Re: Finish Pass Issues

Post by glenn »

Hi S.D.,
in mach3, to change the direction of an axis, click on the mach3 screen top left-
config,
homing/limits,
select the axis you want to change direction,
click column under reversed, hit ok,
you should be good to go!
Glenn

subsea
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Zenbot 2448

Post by subsea »

SimplyDifferent wrote:I am using Mach3. The machine is one I built and am trying to learn to use it properly. I have run lathes, milling machines and shapers quite a bit but not CNC. The software is a huge learning curve for me. I might have an MBA but this stuff is new to me. Many moons ago I took a class on NC machines, but that was the limit of my exposure. Most of the machine I have run since are computer controlled but are completely different than these machines.

The router is a new router with just about 6 or 8 test cuts on it. I would not doubt that I have something set up wrong in Mach3 as my Y axis is opposite of the arrow keys on my keyboard. Standing at the end of my machine facing it, the up arrow moves the Y axis to the right and the down arrow moves it to the left. My computer and keyboard are on a desk to the right of the machine, so I would think the up arrow would go to the left, away from me. It is just the opposite.

All of my cuts are opposite of what I think the orientation should be. Thanks to everyone's input, I have solved the issue of the finish pass not cleaning up the rough marks. I will attempt another of the jumping bass to see if I have it correct too. I will post the results Wednesday evening.

Thanks to all!!!!
Hello SD.
I hope you trouble has be resolved by now, but if not I will make a hint. I am not an expert at Mach 3 but what you wrote about axis travel being reverse from your arrow keys and the cut image being flipped leads me to think you may want to look at your motor configurations. Mach 3 (CONFIG - PORTS AND PINS - MOTOR OUTPUTS - Dir LowActive) Just something easy to check if it helps that's great if not it only takes a moment to look.
Bill

SimplyDifferent
Model of CNC Machine: Homebuilt

Post by SimplyDifferent »

I re-ran the tool path and followed the advise I have read here. I have a good cut with the exception that it is still flipped opposite of what I want. I will continue to see what I have wrong in Mach3 since this is where the issue has to be. I also noticed that when I cut out the attached model it is slightly oval rather the round. Again, it has to be a Mach3 setting.

Thanks goes to all of you!
Attachments
20130206_215143.jpg

esteeme1
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Cobra 404 ATC; ROMAX WD-1; Shark

Post by esteeme1 »

SimplyDifferent wrote:I re-ran the tool path and followed the advise I have read here. I have a good cut with the exception that it is still flipped opposite of what I want. I will continue to see what I have wrong in Mach3 since this is where the issue has to be. I also noticed that when I cut out the attached model it is slightly oval rather the round. Again, it has to be a Mach3 setting.

Thanks goes to all of you!

I think you will need to save the configuration after you make changes go to the Artsoft page and follow the tutorial. He will cover everything you need to know. as far as configuring your pins and tuning your motors. You will be glad you did.

http://www.machsupport.com/videos/
Jim Darlas
"Can Do!"
http://www.esteemedwoodcrafts.com/
http://www.esteemedplaques.com/