Finish Pass doesn't clean up

Tips, tricks and questions about the free Design and Make 3D Machinist from https://store.designandmake.com/ - Design & Make projects

Moderator: Todd Bailey

SimplyDifferent
Model of CNC Machine: Homebuilt

Finish Pass doesn't clean up

Post by SimplyDifferent »

OK, I finally had a decent pattern come out. It's the dished model rose garland from Vectric 3D. I am happy with everything with one little exception. The finish pass didn't clean up all of the tool marks from the rough tool pass. I am not too sure if you can see it in the photo, but I have attached a sample.

I am also attaching on a separate post the dished leaping bass with several issues. Obviously I have a ton to learn and appreciate all of your help, guidance and patience!
Attachments
Rough cut tool marks in the dished part.
Rough cut tool marks in the dished part.

MarkJohnston
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster MC4848

Re: Finish Pass doesn't clean up

Post by MarkJohnston »

What bit did you use for the finish pass and what was the stepover?

I probably would use a 1/16 ball nose and with a stepover of 10 percent or less.

Mark

tonydude919
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: cnc mako shark ext bed with HD 5 gantry

Post by tonydude919 »

By looking at the lines in the project, it seems like your stepover isn't set right. I use a stepover of 10% on all my ball nose bits. You could use a .125 ball nose with a 10% stepover on this. See attachment.

Tony
Attachments
10 % stepover.JPG
What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave

larrybadgett
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre

Post by larrybadgett »

Not enough allowance in the roughing pass?
Woodchip
Wud Bi Tek
http://wudbitek.com/

SimplyDifferent

Tony, I used a 1/16" tapered ball nose bit with an 8% stepover. Larry, I didn't know you could adjust the allowance on the roughing pass. How is this done?

Thanks guys!

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

SimplyDifferent wrote:Tony, I used a 1/16" tapered ball nose bit with an 8% stepover. Larry, I didn't know you could adjust the allowance on the roughing pass. How is this done?

Thanks guys!
Capture.PNG

SimplyDifferent

Adrain, thanks. I took that out thinking it was causing a lip around my dish rather than leaving a smooth transition. I will try that this evening! Thanks again.

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Post by tmerrill »

I took that out thinking it was causing a lip around my dish rather than leaving a smooth transition.
If your are referring to the advice I gave you here, then that is not the same thing:

http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16393

You may not be aware of this, but the VectorArt 3D site has a series of video tutorials on how to use 3D Machininst and they may help you:

http://www.vectorart3d.com/machinist_fr ... videos.htm

Tim

mrmfwilson
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Arty 36

Post by mrmfwilson »

Other than what everyone else suggested, another thing that I would do is run the tool path parallel to the wood grain. That will tend to help with hiding the step over lines and makes it easier to sand if necessary. What is the feed rate on both passes? Too fast of a feed rate when carving can cause the bit to deflect and jump and not cut smoothly especially across the grain in Oak.
Mr. Wilson
CenterLine Designs
Facebook - Centerline Designs

SimplyDifferent

Tim, Obviously I have so much to learn. Thanks for your help and patience. I will watch these videos this evening.

MRMWilson,
Thanks for the tip. On this one I did run parallel to the grain. On the disaster before that one, the raster was at 45 degrees and was terrible.

mrmfwilson
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Arty 36

Post by mrmfwilson »

SimplyDifferent wrote:Tim, Obviously I have so much to learn. Thanks for your help and patience. I will watch these videos this evening.

MRMWilson,
Thanks for the tip. On this one I did run parallel to the grain. On the disaster before that one, the raster was at 45 degrees and was terrible.
I saw the vertical lines on the picture and thought that they were from the tool traveling across the grain. Do you always get those those cut lines across the grain when you run the path parallel to the grain?
Mr. Wilson
CenterLine Designs
Facebook - Centerline Designs

SimplyDifferent

Tim, thanks for the link and advise. I see what my problem is!!!!

MRMWilson, I do get those lines but I am wondering if it is related to the work not cleaning up. I am going to run some more test cuts tomorrow evening and will post them.

Thanks all!!!
mrmfwilson wrote:
SimplyDifferent wrote:Tim, Obviously I have so much to learn. Thanks for your help and patience. I will watch these videos this evening.

MRMWilson,
I saw the vertical lines on the picture and thought that they were from the tool traveling across the grain. Do you always get those those cut lines across the grain when you run the path parallel to the grain?

SimplyDifferent

Here is my latest one. The clean-up was pretty decent. I put some Danish oil on this one just to see what a finished job would look like. I did not do a complete sanding since this was a test cut.
Attachments
20130206_215146.jpg