Work Orientation

Tips, tricks and questions about the free Design and Make 3D Machinist from https://store.designandmake.com/ - Design & Make projects

Moderator: Todd Bailey

SimplyDifferent
Model of CNC Machine: Homebuilt

Work Orientation

Post by SimplyDifferent »

I am new to CNC having just completed a CNC build. I am not sure where to go for help on this one. I downloaded the sample Lily (Dished out) model and created the tool paths in 3D Machinist. It is defaulted to just under a 4 x 6 area with the orientation horizontal (4" high x 6" wide). I rotated it 90 degrees to make it verticle with the flower petals at the top. I set the tool paths and saved the G-Codes.

I imported them into Mach3. The orientation is correct on my screen in Mach 3 as well. When I start cutting it, it cuts the work horizantal as it was originally oriented on the intial download from Vector Art3D.

Am I doing something wrong in 3D machinist or is this more of a Mach 3 setup promblem? Is the rotation option in 3D Machinist only for viewing and will always cut as originally oriented from Vector Art3D? Any guidance will be appreciated!

zeeway
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Self-built

Re: Work Orientation

Post by zeeway »

If your toolpath preview is correct and it shows correctly in Mach3, then I would suspect you have the x and y axes switched on your machine. You can switch these in Mach 3 by switching the inputs.

Angie

zeeway
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Self-built

Post by zeeway »

Read this - should point you in the right direction:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/mach_mill ... mach3.html

Angie

SimplyDifferent
Model of CNC Machine: Homebuilt

Post by SimplyDifferent »

Thanks Zeeway, I'll try this tonight. Had a total knee replacement and physical therapy has be rough and keeping me out of my shop for a little while.