error 2003??

Tips, tricks and questions about the free Design and Make 3D Machinist from https://store.designandmake.com/ - Design & Make projects

Moderator: Todd Bailey

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Re: error 2003??

Post by tmerrill »

Hi Paul,

Using the wrong post processor could certainly be the issue and based on numerous posts the Sharks seem very sensitive to that.

I recall some posts that you can find the most current post processors on the Shark support forum. You may want to search or post there and see what you can find out:

http://www.cncsharktalk.com/

Tim

Found their download page:

http://www.nextwaveautomation.com/DownLoads.aspx

But if in doubt, ask before running the file again.

bennyb
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: CNC SHARK PRO

Post by bennyb »

Tim , It seems it was a combination of the postprocessor selection, and the bit size. i have cut one perfectly and am going to do another . Thanks again to you and Leo,,

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Show us pictures!
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

bennyb
Vectric Apprentice

Post by bennyb »

After I sucessfully completed the rope circle I tryed a model off the starter CD the fish model. i did it the same way as the rope , however when the 1/'' end mill finished cutting the rough cut ,it began cutting the finish cut and i recall making 3 seperate toolpaths .. a rough ,, a finish and a cutout.. I'm trying to figure out why it didn't go back to zero and stop after the rough cut, so I could change bits. I stopped it after a while when it appeared to be doing more than a rough cut and put the ball end cutter in and restarted it but it looks a little groovy now....

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard

Post by tmerrill »

Benny,

None of the Vectric products (including 3D Machinist) will let you save toolpaths that use different bits (unless using a special post processor which I don't think your shark supports), so here are some things to check:

If you had calculated the 3 toolpaths, you should have done 3 separate saves on page 7. At your machine you would then need to load and run these one at a time.

Double check the tools selected for the 3 toolpaths to ensure they are the correct type.

A deeper roughing pass can use multiple passes based on what you have Pass Depth set for the roughing bit. Are you sure you just didn't see it start a second pass?

What did the previews look like in Cut3D/Machinist? If they looked good, that tends to eliminate Cut3D as an issue.

Answer these and we will take it from there.

Tim

bennyb
Vectric Apprentice

Post by bennyb »

Tim, I used Vector art machinist, and i did save the 3 toolpaths one at a time , being careful to only check off one at a time, I'm running the ball nose now and it appears it saved the work from the scrap pile. maybe i should just use the ball nose for both?
Benny

bennyb
Vectric Apprentice

Post by bennyb »

Tim , after I stopped it and changed the bit I also used the toolpath I had named Fish finish tap as well.., I just didn't think the one i named fish rough was correct .. it didn't look at all like the preveiw, it had too much detail

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard

Post by tmerrill »

Some people like using the same ball nose for rough and finish because it prevents a tool change. I personally don't like it because the roughing pass machining time increases considerably, but there is no right or wrong.

My guess is the roughing pass hadn't completely finished. You might preview it again in Machinist (page 6) and check the box at the top to animate the toolpath. Then you can see it happening on the screen the same way it will happen at your machine.

Tim

I just saw your last post. Looks like you got this one behind you.

bennyb
Vectric Apprentice

Post by bennyb »

Tim most likely i may have jumped the gun but i guess the only way to know is to time the roughing pass per the cut time on the control panel. I swear i had the bit return to zero when the rough pass was complete on the rope circle two weeks ago, and then i changed the bit. you mentioned to do this you must use seperate ones for rough finish and cutout. Its possible that my rough was combined on the fish . There is a check box and also a blue highlight that I was sure I paid attention too. Anyway I saved the fish with the bit change and toolpath change,( my only gripe with it is the tail is very thin,) so next time I try it i'll have to reset the bottom higher to make it thicker. It will end up as a display piece after i mount it. I'll keep at it till I get it perfect. Do you have any experience with the other 3d fish models ?Tuna, shark , etc Do they have to be cut 2 sided to look 3d?
, THanks, Benny

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard

Post by tmerrill »

Do they have to be cut 2 sided to look 3d
Hi Benny,

All the Vector Art 3D models are one sided reliefs, plus 3D Machinist doesn't support 2 sided machining directly.

What you would do is create two projects and import the same model, but flip one using the Orientate Model icons on page 1. Ensure you set up each project the same size and you will be able to machine left and right sides that can be glued together.

This will work with any model that is symmetrical, such as the Great White Shark. It would not work well with designs like the Leaping Bass for example.

Tim

bennyb
Vectric Apprentice

Post by bennyb »

Tim, here is my version of the rope circle completed. Even though it still needs tweaking, ( lettering , grain direction,)i am pleased with my first try. thanks for the assist, benny
Attachments
P1010022.JPG
P1010035.JPG

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard

Post by tmerrill »

Benny,

That came out good. I would say you are off to a great start.

Tim