Modifying the "owl frame"

Tips, tricks and questions about the free Design and Make 3D Machinist from https://store.designandmake.com/ - Design & Make projects

Moderator: Todd Bailey

GreggM

Modifying the "owl frame"

Post by GreggM »

57026 owl frame
I want the "frame void/recess" to go away

I have calculated with the vector boundary and it leaves a line around the chest area pic #2
without the boundary it leaves this recess pic #1
how do i add back the missing "frame part" to smooth out the model?
Attachments
owl frame question.jpg
owl frame question 2.jpg

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Re: Modifying the "owl frame"

Post by tmerrill »

Gregg,

The recess is part of the model so if you are using 3D Machinist/Cut3D/Partworks 3D there isn't anyway to modify the model and just changing toolpaths won't help.

You would need Aspire to modify the model and I think you are using Aspire because you refer to a boundary vector?

There would be a couple of approaches from within Aspire and without the model it is hard to say which would be the best. I think my first attempt would be to use the new addition to the measure tool that creates a profile across a 3D component. That profile would show the recess and you could modify the profile to remove the recess, do a circular two rail sweep for the center area and replace the recess with that. Apply a little sculpting to blend the edge and it should look fine.

Tim

GreggM

Re: Modifying the "owl frame"

Post by GreggM »

THANKS JAMES, worked wonderfully... My friend and his granddaughter are gonna be very happy!!!!!!!

To fill in the hole you would create a circle in the 2D view which is just slightly larger than the area the hole covers. You then need to find out how deep the material is round the edge of the hole. You can do this by hovering the cursor over the material in the 3D view. That will show you an XYZ coordinate in the lower right part of the Aspire interface (below the 3D window) – note the Z depth around the edge of the hole. Next take the circle and select it. Go into the Create Shape function and set a flat shape and enter a Base Height which is the same as the Z value you made a note of. Set the shape to merge high as a combine mode and it should fill in the space.

Thanks,
James Booth
Vector Art 3D