3D wood routering question

Tips, tricks and questions about the free Design and Make 3D Machinist from https://store.designandmake.com/ - Design & Make projects

Moderator: Todd Bailey

asignco
Model of CNC Machine: prsalpha bt48

3D wood routering question

Post by asignco »

I have run my first 3D wood file. I probably made it too complicated for my first try - I have run 2D for several years. I ran a job I created for foam using 1in mahogany. Using foam, I can run the router using a faster travel rate. Using wood, I know I have to be careful not to burn the wood and break bits. I have PRSalpha from shotbot.
So here's my question for you wood people- how fast can you set the travel rate of the router-I have a spindle unit- with out burning and breaking bits? I know you don't have any real details from me, but perhaps you have some rule of thumb to pass on.
For example, the foam file takes 2 hours to run. The wood file setting I chose is taking 6 hours. And I like to use 3/8 and 1/4 bits for my designs.
Thanks for any advise
- mark

COWBOY1296
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: SHOPBOT BUDDY PRS 32, 4 FT PWR STICK

Re: 3D wood routering question

Post by COWBOY1296 »

I do not think that there is a clear answer to this. I have done some 3d artwork in wood and work mostly with a 1/8 inch bit for my finishing tool path. my bit is a tapered bit and i think that it can take more from the feed rate. but the hardness of the board dictates so much when determining this.

but my depth of cut runs around .11 inches
feed rate 3.0 inches per second
9% stepover.
my bot has a router not a spindle and i use a 16000 rpm for 3d.
now this was done in willow, which is either a hard softwood or a soft hardwood.

its been a while since i cut cherry but if i recall i used the same settings as above.

now i assume you know that if you feel that your feed rate is wrong you can change it at the control computer while the bot is running. if you do not know how just ask.

also i am not much more then a rookie myself having been involved in 3d for less then a year. so bear with me on this answer. burning wood does not come from a fast feed rate but just the opposite which is too slow. there is such a thing as a chip calculator but i never use it since it is only an indicator. from what i understand you want to see chips flying off of the bit not saw dust. that has something to do with removing the heat from the router. if the router bit heats up then you might burn some wood. two different setting working together can change this, increase your feed rate or slow down your rpm or a combination of both to achieve the chips. now if some of you experts want to comment on what i just said i am all ears. good luck

mezalick
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Cobra

Re: 3D wood routering question

Post by mezalick »

You may want to do a bit of research on Chip Calculators.
It will help as a guide to the feeds and speeds for different materials.
Here's one posting that will help.
Follow the link in the post to the calculator from Jim.

http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtopic. ... calculator

Michael
Michael Mezalick
https://www.youtube.com/user/mezalick
mm@mezalick.com