Problem with vector fit and the Easter Cross.

Tips, tricks and questions about the free Design and Make 3D Machinist from https://store.designandmake.com/ - Design & Make projects

Moderator: Todd Bailey

mountaincraft
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: DIY 4' x 8' CNC Router/Plasma

Re: Problem with vector fit and the Easter Cross.

Post by mountaincraft »

Yes, having the eps outline will make editing things out reasonably pain free..

I just went and downloaded the rest of the eps files for the models I bought...

I was just thinking, that having the eps outlines for all these files should make it possible to cut these models out (using the cut out option in machinist) with say a 1/4" piece of material of extra depth below the model.. Then I should be able to import the eps into V Carve and pocket that shape out a 1/4" deep into a slab of a different kind of wood.. then place the cut out model into the pocket.. effectively creating a 3 dimensional inlay..

Thanks,
Mark

mountaincraft
Vectric Craftsman

Post by mountaincraft »

tmerrill wrote:The best bits I have found for 3D work are the ones from Beckwith Decor:

http://www.beckwithdecor.com/index_files/Cutters.htm

Yes, they are expensive but worth every penny to me. I use all three sizes and with your machine tight and well adjusted, they will produce a finish that need little or no sanding, which saves time.

I know some people use the tapered ball nose bits from Precise Bits, but I can't personally recommend them as I haven't tried them.

Tim
Ouch.. At that price, they're gonna have to wait a bit... The precise bits aren't much cheaper.. although they have a bigger selection... I have three of their collets, and they're definitely quality stuff...
Last edited by mountaincraft on Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Post by tmerrill »

Mark,

What you are saying is possible with one potential issue. Machinist will use the outline of the model for it's cutout toolpath. Technically, this is the same as the eps outline, however there is no compensation for the bit diameter. In other words, the bit may not fully fit into tight areas.

In Aspire/VCP I would use the Auto Inlay Tool to generate both the male outline and female pocket and the vectors would be modified to ensure the same bit can cut both as an exact match. Take a look at the Help Contents under the Auto Inlay Tool and the description and pictures will help understand what it does and why it is important to modify both male and female toolpaths.

Without doing this modification to both the Machinist cutout toolpath and VCP pocket toolpath, you can end up with gaps and/or excess material. How bad probably depends a lot on the model outline shape and how small a bit you can get away with using.

Tim

mountaincraft
Vectric Craftsman

Post by mountaincraft »

I guess the other option would be to take the eps and create a file for each piece that compensates for this problem and then use that to generate the paths in V Carve instead of machinist..

I have yet to play with the inlay tool.. Have to dig out that tutorial..

The other method I was considering to get this effect, would be to laminate the different kind of wood on top of the base wood, and then Carve in the way I've already set up in the pictures... If I wanted just the centerpiece to be different, I could cut out a pocket for the circle, and then glue a piece of the different kind of wood big enough for the centerpiece to be carved out of in the middle of the pocket (or just fill/inlay in the entire pocket), and then run the 3D tool path to cut that out... (might be a lot easier)

mountaincraft
Vectric Craftsman

Post by mountaincraft »

So last nite, I found an old piece of pine to try this out on.. It had been edge glued and was slightly cupped, so I screwed it down and then took 50 thousands off to surface the part of it where I was going to route the file...

Pine probably isn't the best material as it created a lot of 'hair'.. I ran the CNC file a second time over the relevant parts to clean it up some which helped...

One problem I had was that the first pocketing of the large open areas of the dish where the cross is, had a 'lot' of plunge marks.. I've sanded most of them out, but you can still see someof the hard to get to ones..

Is this 'typical'.. or is it a matter of using slower plunges (currently at 15-30 IPM) or a different bit (1/4" single flute compression spiral)..

Also, on some of the more intricate parts like the tips of the little detail parts coming out of the flowers, the pieces blew off here and there, also in one corner of the V Carve area.. I'm hoping this has more to do with the material being cut than it does the process, and when I do it in hardwood, these problems will disappear..

I'd like to get more detail and cleaner cut on the 3D elements.. but this also might be in part due to the material being cut.. I don't know.. I used a 3/32" ball end to do the finish pass.. but I might slow it down a little (currently at 200 IPM) and increase the step over (default)...

Anyways, any and all advise appreciated, like how to clean 'this one' up some more (can't find my dremel set.. will keep looking), and how to avoid these problems in the first place...

Thanks,
Mark

Here's a pic of it (the defects are more noticeable in person)