un baking a model or un rapping a STL

Tips, tricks and questions about the free Design and Make 3D Machinist from https://store.designandmake.com/ - Design & Make projects

Moderator: Todd Bailey

GaryR6
Vectric Wizard

un baking a model or un rapping a STL

Post by GaryR6 »

Seems like I read a post about STL file and how to un rap the model. (can't find it now)
When you import a 3d image which has a dish under it, How do I get the object out of the dish? Or for that matter manipulate the model. I assume the composite image has been "Baked", so I guess maybe the question is how do I un bake it and get to the individual components. I know there are multiple components but they do not show in the component tree.

gravirozo
Vectric Wizard

Re: un baking a model or un rapping a STL

Post by gravirozo »

hi gary

IF.... IF you use aspire then need to add the dish shape negtive, or subtract the dish.. both of them has same result

baked models can not be unbaked, as overlapping modelparts already unified

baking does mean , with an example, you merge two circle, and you get a ""8""" shape...
exist parts can help you recreate te parts-components, but aspire dont """see"" longer the separated parts..

viktor

GaryR6
Vectric Wizard

Post by GaryR6 »

Thanks Viktor.
I seem to remember that but thought the wizards at Vectric might have somehow figured out how to undo what was done once.

Thanks again, your understanding of all of this continues to amaze me and your willingness to share is appreciated.

gravirozo
Vectric Wizard

Post by gravirozo »

gary

before you close aspire, virtually with undo you can step back... but it can be very tedeious if you made several modeling steps after baking...

for unwrapping some expert will answer you... a few multisided task i made, they made with indexing objects...

viktor

edit

gary, everyone started same way... experts differ from others... they made more mistakes :-)
Last edited by gravirozo on Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spinningwood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Taig Mill and Self Built Routers

Post by spinningwood »

Hi Gary - Maybe splitting the model would be sufficient for your needs. It's not as good as getting access to the components used to build the model, but maybe it's good enough. There's a video tutorial on here on how to do it:

http://www.vectric.org/video/aspire3/ov ... t-web.html

To unwrap an STL, use the wrapped job setup gadget to create your job. When you import a component, aspire will ask you if you want it to be unwrapped (after you click ok to close the import dialog).

Ed