I'm have troubles with 3d inlay

Tips, tricks and questions about the free Design and Make 3D Machinist from https://store.designandmake.com/ - Design & Make projects

Moderator: Todd Bailey

MaxRichards
Vectric Apprentice

I'm have troubles with 3d inlay

Post by MaxRichards »

I bought a 3d horse then tried to inlay it in to v-carve when it cuts out the horse it cuts off its ears I have tried different bits and still have the same trouble. I have a 3d rose and it cuts leaves off stem in two pieces. I tried to upload the files but was told they are too big. I have ooaded the picture of the cutout.

Thanks Max
Attachments
Horse picture.jpg
Max
making molds & turningwood in west Texas

Bob Reda
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot 48x48 upgraded prt

Re: I'm have troubles with 3d inlay

Post by Bob Reda »

I may not be correct but I think when you want to cut something out you have to offset outward 1/2 the bit diameter. that would allow the whole bit to be on the outside of the model. I'm sure someone will chime in if I am not correct.

Bob

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Presumably you're using a profile vector cut around the outside of the horse in VCarve?

Is the profile cut set to be outside rather than on the line? If it's on the line you will lose the edge detail as you're seeing.
Attachments
Capture.PNG

JamesB
Vectric Alumni
Model of CNC Machine: Exel CNC SL60/90 Pro

Post by JamesB »

Hi Max - you say you are wanting to inlay these so I assume you are using the Inlay toolpaths to calculate the profile cuts for this and the rose. If that is the case you will see parts being rounded off as this is the Inlay toolpath allowing for the tool diameter. On a pocket it rounds off the internal corners on the profile it rounds off the external corners. This is so your inlay parts will fit into each other. I think what is happening (assuming your using the inlay toolpath) is the ears are being cut off during the rounding process. The only way to change how much they are rounded off would be to make the parts larger or to use a smaller diameter cutter - which you would also need to use on the pocket too - again to make sure they fit together.

Hope this helps,
James

gravirozo
Vectric Wizard

Post by gravirozo »

max

you are not prohibited to upload the eps vectors... they are only few kb...they can be freely downloading from james website...
also screenshot you can make of toolpath, showing the smashed out part of the model

i fyour router makes it by program, then previwew must to show it

what program you are using next free machinist? cut2d? vcarvepro?
cut2d dont have automatic inlay fit... however with cut2d you can make same way.. (with a little extra work)

viktor

the preview you uploaded, shows no error..

MaxRichards
Vectric Apprentice

Post by MaxRichards »

I'm using v-pro 6 it cuts the ears off on the last cut of the male inlay I've tried changing the bits on the preview but it still shows the ears cut off I don't have any smaller bits that will cut that deep. I have a rose and it cuts leaves, and steams off. I try smaller bit and see if it helps. The reason I can't upload the files they are 3d from victor art and show as too large.
Thanks
Max
Max

MarkJohnston
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster MC4848

Post by MarkJohnston »

Max,

What size bit are you using for the finish cut and how deep are you cutting? You should be able to see in the preview if the bit is not getting in the area around the ears. There are a number of good tips mentioned above as well.

Good Luck.
Mark

MaxRichards
Vectric Apprentice

Post by MaxRichards »

I enlarged the horse and bingo it cut out great. I want to thank everyone that helped this forum has some of the best members in the world.

Thanks again

Max :D
Max