The best type of file?

Tips, tricks and questions about the free Design and Make 3D Machinist from https://store.designandmake.com/ - Design & Make projects

Moderator: Todd Bailey

Jonmilligan

The best type of file?

Post by Jonmilligan »

:? A question for James, Given That I want to make us rich beyond our wildest dreams(my dreams are pretty wild!). What would be your favoured file type, from a customer to produce 3D reliefs ?
Regards
John Milligan

JamesB
Vectric Alumni
Model of CNC Machine: Exel CNC SL60/90 Pro

Post by JamesB »

Hi John, there is really no definitive answer to this as it depends a lot on the type of model. I will try and answer though. In a lot of cases the ideal starting point is a vector file - (any that would import into VCP would work), this is especially the case with anything involving goemetric shapes, text or parts which you need to fit together (logos, coat of arms, emblems, icons etc.)

In some cases though a straight jpeg or other raster based image is best - although it needs to be decent quality and resolution to really get a good result. Normally using a raster image is best for animals and natural work as if I get vectors I tend to need to recreate them to use to buid the models.

I hope this helps, I look forward to you becoming rich beyond your wildest dreams (especially if you share some with me :))

Cheers
James