changing x y axis with Vector art 3D

Tips, tricks and questions about the free Design and Make 3D Machinist from https://store.designandmake.com/ - Design & Make projects

Moderator: Todd Bailey

Aworkman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark

changing x y axis with Vector art 3D

Post by Aworkman »

Happy New Year,

Is there a way with V carve pro or VectorArt 3d machinist to change the x axis to y and vise versa of a purchased 3D art. I want to make a larger carving but this would require the current x axis of the drawing to be cut on the y axis. I have repositioned the drawing in 3D machinist but each time I import the image to V carve, it still has the same position.

Thanks,

Terry

knighttoolworks
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shobot 48x96

Re: changing x y axis with Vector art 3D

Post by knighttoolworks »

you used to be able to rotate it in vcarve but the 5 update killed it. so you need to rotate it in VectorArt 3d machinist if possible before you do the toolpathing.

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Post by tmerrill »

Terry,

In VectorArt3D Machinist you would change the model X,Y orientation using the icons located on the first screen. Picture below shows icons and short description taken from Help Contents.

Also, if you are using VCP V6 you can apply toolpath tiling to create an even larger design than your CNC bed size. This feature will work with models imported from Cut3D and Machinist.

Tim
Attachments
VA3D Machinist.JPG

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard

Post by tmerrill »

I have repositioned the drawing in 3D machinist but each time I import the image to V carve, it still has the same position.
I just worked through two samples with the same model to be sure there were no issues. In the first case the model was horizontal and in the second, vertical. Both of them imported into VCP in the correct orientation.

Be sure after you have rotated the model you follow through and recalculate all the toolpaths and then re-save the toolpaths and complete .v3m file for import into VCP.

Ask if you are still having problems.

Tim

PS Welcome to the forum

esteeme1
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Cobra 404 ATC; ROMAX WD-1; Shark

Post by esteeme1 »

Don't ask how I stumbled across this but… select the part you want to rotate then press Shift + 9 = 45deg CCW and Shift + 0 = 45deg CW or visa versa.
Jim Darlas
"Can Do!"
http://www.esteemedwoodcrafts.com/
http://www.esteemedplaques.com/

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard

Post by tmerrill »

Jim,

If you set up an example exactly as Terry describes, you wii find your shortcut keys do not work for this situation. It is always good to verify information when in unique situations before posting.

To use the rotate shortcut keys in other situations you don't need to press Shift with the keys.

Tim

esteeme1
Vectric Wizard

Post by esteeme1 »

Thanks Tim, I just thought it was a neat feature and has never failed to work for me and figured many others didn't know. Good to know I don't need to hit shift.
Jim Darlas
"Can Do!"

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard

Post by tmerrill »

has never failed to work for me
And it still hasn't failed to work!

You need to realize it is a shortcut for a feature intended to rotate vectors and 3D components, not toolpaths.

When you import a 3D file into VCP from Cut3D or Machinist you are importing toolpaths and a grayscale bitmap, no vectors. That is why a lot of the setup must first be done in Cut3D or Machinist as your options are limited once imported into VCP.

knighttoolworks
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shobot 48x96

Post by knighttoolworks »

but you used to be able to rotate and flip and mirror them in vcarve. I would import 4 of the same corners and flip them so they were all right. now in vcarve you have to make 4 separate files in cut3d and import each one and get it in the right place.

esteeme1
Vectric Wizard

Post by esteeme1 »

Tim,

I'm not disputing what your saying and am not around my machine to varify but...I seem to recall the function does work with grayscale? And once more I recieved a pearl of wisdom. I didn't understand when changing the axis in the above discribed manner changes the tool pathes as well.

Thanks once more.
Jim Darlas
"Can Do!"

Aworkman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark

Post by Aworkman »

Thanks Tim for the quick response. I did as you discribed and it worked out as planned. I must have been forgeting to resave after repositioning in machinist.

I have had the Vcarve pro for a while now but the Navy has managed to kept me away from my garage most of the year to really learn and experiment. I will be taking Vcarve pro on deployment with me, so I plan to learn from others on this site and generating some projects to cut when I return.

Terry

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard

Post by tmerrill »

Happy to help Terry.

I remember those days - now deployment to me means to walk down to the shop:D

Keep in touch, let us know how we may help, and have a safe deployment.

Tim

gravirozo
Vectric Wizard

Post by gravirozo »

estimee

you was thinking rigth, because aspire and vcarvepro is same...
as it promoted, aspire expanded with 3d capability in modeling and toolpathing...

knight

i did not notice this because i have the version 5.0 installed... and did not installed 6 yet...

and i think it is accidentally missing of vcarve, because cut2d makes it... i remember i made several design where combined model in cut2d... and overlaps between models, i erased the not needed part in gcode editors, or in other program the 3d dxf output...

so i think if vcarve pro has this ability, it is accidentally missing from it... because the ""rigid"" 90 deg rotating not always sufficient...

bezst regard
viktor
Attachments
models in cut2d.jpg