Help with PhotoCarve

This forum is for general discussion about PhotoVCarve.
Klondike

Help with PhotoCarve

Post by Klondike »

I am just getting around to using PVC and like several other I am finding that not all is going well. Let me first say, it's me not the machine, software and/or a Gremlin.

I have tried several times to do the attached photo and seem to be missing something. The results appear that the line generated do not have the necessary elevation changes to produce a workable image. The Preview appears fine.

Could someone tell me what setting to use on the attached file for a 6.2 x 5 x 0.5 work piece?

Thanks,
Clyde
Attachments
Katie.jpg

fixtureman
Vectric Wizard

Re: Help with PhotoCarve

Post by fixtureman »

watch the tutorial and use the same settings as in it. That will get you very close then you can change to suit your taste.

RoutnAbout
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 24x18 Desktop

Post by RoutnAbout »

Clyde, Welcome to the forum,
I have not cut this on my shopbot, But these settings are where I'd start.
I hope this helps.
I've attached the PVC file along with the preview jpg
Attachments
Katie.zip
(758.85 KiB) Downloaded 277 times
Katie1.jpg
Roll of Honor <-- Never Forget
________
Don

Klondike

Post by Klondike »

Thanks Don, and yes it does help. I've noticed that the distance betwee lines several files that I have looked at seems to be in the 0.019 area, is this just coincidence or something that I should use as a rule of thumb? I know that using different size and angled cutters as well as material size will dictate the setting, but I would think, and know that can be dangerous, there is some general guildlines that can be used as a starting point.

Again, Thanks for the help and I will let you know what happens after I run it

Clyde

RoutnAbout
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 24x18 Desktop

Post by RoutnAbout »

Clyde,
Yes, most of mine have been between 0.015 upto .025"
But if you were going to make a larger image, the spacing would be farther apart.

I usually start out at a depth of about .015" and adjust the line spacing until I like the preview.
After getting the preview tweaked in, I then change the depth by .002" either way to fine adjust it.
I'll even adjust and play with the contrast bar.

I also use Fireworks or photoshop to fix the image and remove the background prior to bringing it into PhotoVCarve.
(don't look but I goofed and removed the right front leg\paw of Katie - Sorry, I can put it back if you want.)

On the last couple PhotoVcarve projects I've done. I've put an indicator on my router and found the high and low spots and then shimmed the material in and gave me great results.
The material isn't always flat!!
Roll of Honor <-- Never Forget
________
Don

Klondike

Post by Klondike »

Don, thanks for the help. I finally got one to come out and you can tell what it is, now it's a matter of playing with the program.

Thanks Again,
Clyde

Win Brayer
Model of CNC Machine: Mako CNC Shark HD

Post by Win Brayer »

Where are the settings??