Ok I am hooked

This forum is for general discussion about PhotoVCarve.
Kimon
Vectric Craftsman

Ok I am hooked

Post by Kimon »

I finaly received my .04 ballnose bits and am trying to give it a shot.
I am having somekind of a file problem the lithopane only cuts halfway. I am using .1875 polycarbonate with one .04 finishing tool cutting to a max depth of .1 45 degree angle and 15%. For some reason the file doesn't finsh. Any clues or help?
Attachments
100_0967.JPG
(390.77 KiB) Downloaded 462 times
100_0966.JPG
(456.49 KiB) Downloaded 501 times

dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Post by dighsx »

I'm assuming that in the preview in PhotoVCarve it looks right (not just half) Can you see the job in what ever you use to control your machine? If you can do you see the whole job?
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)

js11110
Vectric Wizard

Post by js11110 »

Kimon,

The machine just stops? I mean does the program end, or does the machine just stop in the middle of the program? I find this VERY strange. As Jay said, do you get the full preview in PVC? If so, everything should be fine. Do you have a max program size in your controller? i.e. could it be your controller can only handle a certain amount of line numbers? I know when I do relatively small liths (5"X5") the line numbers are into the 120,000's. When you figure it out, I'd be very interested in knowing the answer.

Jason

Kimon
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Kimon »

I previewed in PVC and in my controller software. It ran to 100 % and stopped but the file was only half finished. I have reprocessed the file and reloaded it and its running now. I wt.ill knopw in a couple of hours thanks for the inpu

drodda

Post by drodda »

This very thing has happened to me once. I could never get it to repeat itself and I even ran the same file to cut and it worked the second time. Since I could not get it to repeat I could not troubleshoot the problem. I just figured it was a computer glitch.

Dave

Wemme
Vectric Wizard

Post by Wemme »

drodda wrote:This very thing has happened to me once. I could never get it to repeat itself and I even ran the same file to cut and it worked the second time. Since I could not get it to repeat I could not troubleshoot the problem. I just figured it was a computer glitch.

Dave
Hi Dave
if the same output file cut fine the second time around it sounds like the problem will be with the cnc control software.
Regards
Bart

Kimon
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Kimon »

Ok, computer glitch or operator error it took another couple of runs to get what I wanted. After the half fiished file I reran the toolpaths and reoutputed the file of course with the wrong material size heheheh third time was the charm.

This is my mothers graduation pic, she passed away a year ago last January. I love this pic and the Lithopane makes it look great. I think I am going to try to make a light box to display it. Any one edge light one of these?
Attachments
100_0970.JPG
(444.87 KiB) Downloaded 446 times
100_0969.JPG
(435.3 KiB) Downloaded 457 times

drodda

Post by drodda »

Edge lighting will not work as good as backlighting. The material does not draw the light evenly through it from the edge.

Dave

js11110
Vectric Wizard

Post by js11110 »

Very nice job Kimon! Welcome to the club!!

Jason

The Signloft

Post by The Signloft »

Not sure if this will help but I seem to recall this happening on our Shopbot system. Could it be that your power settings or screen saver are pausing the application?