PVC and paint mask

This forum is for general discussion about PhotoVCarve.
Perry
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Modified Shopbot PRT96

PVC and paint mask

Post by Perry »

Hi guys.
I attempted, for the very first time, to use paint mask. I attempted to use it on a Photo V-Carved image being cut into white melamine using a new (out of the box!) 60* V bit. Speed was 1.5 in/sec. Router speed ~20,000 rpm.

I must say the results I got were less than impressive. I appologize for not taking any pictures of the resulsts as I just didn't think.
I would say that the results indicated a good cleancut of the mask as the cutter was moving in a conventional direction. As the cutter moved in a climb cutting direction, it "feathered" and lifted the mask.

As I stated, this is a first attempt for me with the use of a mask. Is there something I am missing? Is this typical of mask when climb cutting? Is there a recourse, a step to ensure better results.

I have hunted locally for quite a while to locate somewhere locally to purchase paint mask and when I finally get some, to have the results I got, very disheartening.

I have heard the virtues of the use of mask on this forum and the Shopbot forum. I just wander if this may not be a practical application for it.

Any suggestions?
Thanks.

dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Post by dighsx »

How far apart were your cuts? I've had mixed results with paint mask when the cuts are close together. For doing signs and bigger work I love the stuff. For small detail work, slower seems to do better. Also making sure you have it really rubbed down helps some.
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)

Perry
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Modified Shopbot PRT96

Post by Perry »

It turns out that particular sheet of melamine was very loose in its composition. It is now shelving. Will attempt again when I pick up a new sheet.