Stressful Photo V Carve Trials

This forum is for general discussion about PhotoVCarve.
Seachaser
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster

Stressful Photo V Carve Trials

Post by Seachaser »

I have way more questions than this post will hold, but I'll start with this, I have tried to do a photo on Maple, Oak, and Beech. All with terrible results. I have watched and duplicated the steps from the videos all to no avail. I have altered the depths of cut, changed V-Bits from 60, 45, 22, and 10 degree. I have altered the cut angle between 30 and 60 degrees. The results have been unusable, and after seeing the wonderful projects that are produced I am totally confused. All of my variations have produced "crumbling" scrap wood. I can't seem to get the ridges between the cut lines to remain intact. My preview always looks great but the end product just falls apart. Is this the result of poor choice of material, or is it just a PICNIC error? ( Problem In Chair Not In Computer )

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Stressful Photo V Carve Trials

Post by Adrian »

Maple and Beech should be fine. Oak can be a bit of a problem due to the grain.

Check your feeds and speeds to make sure you're not going too fast or slow for the bits you're using. Also make sure they're good quality sharp bits that come to a proper point. Also make sure that your line spacing isn't too close.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Please post a screenshot of your design, or better, post your file. (Use DropBox if the file is too large to post here, then post the link to the file.)
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Bob Reda
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot 48x48 upgraded prt

Post by Bob Reda »

I've found that I put a coat of finish on the wood before cutting, he helps stiffen the wood so the lines remain crisp. It also depends on the type of photo you are doing. If you are trying the v lines(which it seems you are) Then the finish is of utmost importance. If doing the 3d type, it is a little more forgiving. remember you are only cutting a few hundredths deep, if your z is off anything and I mean anything, you are not going to get a good result.

Bob

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Wish we could see a screenshot at least. Maybe the photo itself. Best would be the file to peruse. Perhaps the source file (photo) is poor quality to begin with (an enlarged, pixelated mess). Perhaps cutting too deep, perhaps feed is too fast, perhaps the spacing is too close between passes. Nobody can tell for sure without more info and/or the actual file itself.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

Before carving your own file, try a sample fle which comes with PhotoVcave. They do work.

Use a cheap and flat material as MDF and use the cutting parameters and tools from the file. If its doesn't work properly, there is probably something wrong with your machine. Post a picture of your test.

I suggest this because getting good results with wood is not that easy. So begin with a known working file and parameters to check your process.

As Michael said, there are so many tracks for a bad carving that we need more information to put you on the right one.
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

Seachaser

Post by Seachaser »

Can't seem to figure out how to post pictures, but will try adjusting line spacing, and perhaps prefinishing. Thanks for all the tips.

Jim

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Seachaser wrote:Can't seem to figure out how to post pictures, but will try adjusting line spacing, and perhaps prefinishing. Thanks for all the tips.

Jim
When you've clicked the Reply button you'll see an Upload attachment button on the left below where you type the text. Click that and then click Choose file to open a dialog where you can choose the picture you want to upload. Then click Add the file and you're done. The picture will be added to your post when you click Submit as normal.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Photos need to be smaller than 2MB
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

Seachaser

Post by Seachaser »

The photo of the completed carves wouldn't upload, says attachment is invalid ??
I have tried to attach the photo I started with, and a screenshot of the setup.
Attachments
Original Picture
Original Picture
Screen of setup
Screen of setup