Yet another Lithophane. 9x7

This forum is for general discussion about PhotoVCarve.
dman
Vectric Craftsman

Yet another Lithophane. 9x7

Post by dman »

Lithophane done for a friend of mine. Size is 9"x7". Material is 1/8" acrylic light tan color. I think white acrylic would be brighter but he wanted it in this color. I finished making the light box and now have to work on a frame. As you can see on the sides the picture is just taped to the box.

The picture is in the next post.

dman
Vectric Craftsman

Post by dman »

Not sure what happened. Here it is again.
Attachments
Picture 094.jpg
(515.95 KiB) Downloaded 402 times

dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Post by dighsx »

Looks good, as always.
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)

drodda

Post by drodda »

Dman,

Another great looking lith. These start getting addictive after you do the first. I am working on my next one now.

Post a pic once you have a frame on it. I would love to see it.

Dave

dman
Vectric Craftsman

Post by dman »

You a 100% right about the lithos being addictive. I think they look so good. Every time I pull the stock off the table and hold it up to the light I am amazed and just end up staring at it for awhile. :P .Can't wait to see your next project. The first one was great. What CNC are you using? I am using a homemade version now but would love to upgrade to something like a ShopBot or K2 in the future if I can start making some $$ to pay for it.

CRFultz
Vectric Wizard

Post by CRFultz »

Nice work DMan,
I can't wait to try this. I got a few pieces of Glacier White corian yesterday so I'm ready to give it a whirl.
I can only hope to get results such as yours. Can you share the details of the cut? What bit did you use?
These must have a good sell potential. The one Dave did was amazing.
i wonder if white LED's would work in a light box...and for that matter what would the blue ones look like...or maybe a combo of both. Anyway I'll post the results when i get it done...I'm gonna copy the M Monroe settings for my first attempt and go from there, unless Dave wants to give up his secrets ;)
Chuck

drodda

Post by drodda »

If you go with the settings that Tony put in his tutorial and use a 10% stepover in the finishing cut instead of a 15% you will be very close to where I cut the last one. The secret is not being afraid to let the thing run for 8 hours.

I think most people change the settings once they see the estimated cut time to shorten that up.

I tried the white LED and I could not get the look I was wanting without placing 50 leds behinf the picture. At about $2.50 each LED Board that made them cost more than I am trying to get. I am trying to make it so that the total cost is under $100.00 and I am still experimenting with this to hit my goals. So far flourecent lighting seems the way to go.

I am cutting mine with a shopbot prt alpha. And a PC router.

Hope this helps,

Dave

dman
Vectric Craftsman

Post by dman »

Chuck,
My setup for this litho was: 1/8" light tan cast acrylic. My cut depth max was .08. I used a .047" ball nose cutter with a feed rate of 50ipm and plunge rate 30ipm. The stepover rate was 12%. Hope this helps.

Damian