Confused about Number of Passes with Lithophane

This forum is for general discussion about PhotoVCarve.
kristenanne77
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShapeOko 2

Confused about Number of Passes with Lithophane

Post by kristenanne77 »

I did a trial run of a litho.
First I plained a center main area to .15 inch and proceeded to do litho with a maximum carving depth of .1 inch.
I used a .125 ballnose with 20 percent line spacing.
Both Feed rate and plunge rate set to 80 inch/min and rapid clearance gap of .2 inch.
I didn't want to take a chance and break the bit so I chose a pass depth of .05 inches, so it indicated that it would do 2 separate passes. (to do a total of .1 inch).
However it only did a single pass across the picture and didn't return to do a second pass. I did notice however that in certain areas it looked as if it went "back and forth" to do two separate passes in certain areas.
Is this program structured to do multiple passes while it is in a certain area rather than doing a first pass , then returning to do the second pass?

Thanks
K

BrianM
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: A few ...

Re: Confused about Number of Passes with Lithophane

Post by BrianM »

kristenanne77 wrote:...
Is this program structured to do multiple passes while it is in a certain area rather than doing a first pass , then returning to do the second pass?

Thanks
K
This is how PhotoVCarve deals with multiple passes.

Brian

NormanAlbert
Vectric Wizard

Re: Confused about Number of Passes with Lithophane

Post by NormanAlbert »

Hi: I usually use a .0625 ball nose for most of my lithophanes with an 8 % step over at my usual cutting depth of .15 in a .22 thick corian. Cutting at a 45 degree angle to the work the bit is taking very little material at a time, not a chance of breaking a bit. Only one pass of the bit is required. On some occasions I go down to a .020 ball nose and still give it a .15 depth of cut. On a supper detailed piece I have gone down to a .005 ball nose but reduced my cut depth to .04 and slowed the feed down to 15 inches per minute at the highest rpm on the router. Norm