PhotoVCarve not working correctly for me either!

This forum is for general discussion about PhotoVCarve.
jamesr
Model of CNC Machine: Inventables 1000mm X-CARVE

PhotoVCarve not working correctly for me either!

Post by jamesr »

Okay fella's, have read numerous posts about PVC not working for them and they all have similar or the same problem I am. Just carving lines (scratches) in the wood. Have been in contact with Vectric support multiple times. Vectric tells me the software is fine! So it's got to be a set up problem. I think it has to do with my depth of cut, line spacing and possibly angle of cut, just not sure which or all of the above. I see all these successfully carved video's on youtube and I wonder how they did it? Would someone that has successfully carved a photo or series of photo's in wood (I use red oak) please contact me and let me in on your secret? You can contact me at jamesrmitchell0718@comcast.net.

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Re: PhotoVCarve not working correctly for me either!

Post by LittleGreyMan »

James,

Try a sample file on the right material before changing the settings.
See this post: http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php? ... 57#p176816

It does work, but small changes in setting or material can have a huge effect. So better check with a tested file.
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

tonydude919
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: cnc mako shark ext bed with HD 5 gantry

Post by tonydude919 »

James I have sent you an email. Check this out.

Tony
Attachments
original.jpg
IMG_1319.jpg
What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave

Frunple

Post by Frunple »

tonydude919 wrote:James I have sent you an email. Check this out.

Tony
Tony, Is that a photoVcarve?? Looks more like a regular V-Carve.

tonydude
Vectric Apprentice

Post by tonydude »

I use photo vcarve for all my photos, sometimes I will use aspire for lithos. I used a .0625 ball nose on this one with a line spacing of 1500 lines.

Tony

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Tony, looks like a reverse litho rather than a PhotoVCarve toolpath in the "traditional" sense. Is that correct?

James, did you stain the material after cutting the grooves? Until you get a contrast onto the material you're not going to see much after doing the machining.

tonydude919
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: cnc mako shark ext bed with HD 5 gantry

Post by tonydude919 »

Yes that is correct Adrian.

Tony
What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave

Frunple

Post by Frunple »

tonydude919 wrote:Yes that is correct Adrian.

Tony
Yeah, that's what I meant. The OP is looking for a photoVcarve, not just a regular carving. Big difference.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Frunple wrote:
tonydude919 wrote:Yes that is correct Adrian.

Tony
Yeah, that's what I meant. The OP is looking for a photoVcarve, not just a regular carving. Big difference.
Excuse my ignorance Frunple but what is the difference? I am another one who could never get the sort of results I really wanted from photovcarve, I have seen enough really good work & trust Vectric enough to believe that the errors are down to me & not the program. I put the program to one side as I had lots of other things I wanted to do & still haven't got round to picking it back up & trying again.
I have read lots of posts & made notes on lots of things that I need to try at some point, I know finishing is a big part of where I was going wrong previously & that's an area I still have a great deal to learn about.

I didn't think photovcarve did different types of carving but if it does this is something else I am going to have to add to my list :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bob Reda
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot 48x48 upgraded prt

Post by Bob Reda »

If wanting to do a original photo v carve the first thing you got to do is plane the board with the cnc machine. If your z is off just a couple 100th's you won't get good results. You have to leave a gap between the lines, usually a 120% step is required. The line angle to start should be around 33 degrees. I usually put some shellac on my wood before I do one to help get crisper lines. Hope this helps.

Bob

Frunple

Post by Frunple »

I think you are correct Martin. It doesn't do different types of carving, at least I agree with you on it, could be wrong.

What Tony posted was just a 3d carving, just like doing and 3d clipart carving.
The photoVcarve is where it carves a picture into the wood by using lines of different depths.

I just was just trying to point out that what Tony posted wasn't what the OP was looking for, that's all. Different altogether.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

PhotoVcarve can do 3D machining of greyscale images as well as the line type photocarving.

tonydude
Vectric Apprentice

Post by tonydude »

These are my settings I used.

Tony
Attachments
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG