Toolpath problem - is this intended behavior?

This forum is for general discussion about PhotoVCarve.
weber765
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: home built and modified Vytek rebel

Re: Toolpath problem - is this intended behavior?

Post by weber765 »

Be sure to post another video when you do and also a picture of the finished part if you would please. I would love to see what you have been working on.

Thanks
Glenn

Binkmeister
Model of CNC Machine: X-Carve 1000mm

Post by Binkmeister »

The workaround posted on the previous page, of saving each layer (depth of cut) as a separate .pvc file, works great, although it took longer than anticipated to cut. I ran the rough cut yesterday of Crater Lake in Oregon, and it took about 8 hours to cut 20 layers with a 1/4" bit. Each layer was done in succession. I haven't done the final detail cut, but it looks to me that the detail is appropriate at this stage. Here's a series of pictures taken during the cut... you can just start to see the lake itself defined in the first image, after the first couple of layers were cut, and then it becomes deeper and more defined as you move down through the layers. It's pretty cool watching the landscape appear. (Click the picture for a larger view.)
craterlake_progression.jpg
So, until Vectric is able to update PhotoVcarve to eliminate the full-depth plunge issue, this workaround will get me to where I want to go.

weber765
Vectric Craftsman

Post by weber765 »

Thanks for posting the sequence of pictures, looks like it came out great. Just a thought to improve your machine time being the cuts are lighter could you speed up your IPM. Another question is did you post all the g-code files files at one time into one program?
Glenn

Binkmeister

Post by Binkmeister »

I ran at 90 ipm, but the plunge rate was 60ipm, which I feel comfortable increasing - that's where it seemed to lag, especially since it's not plunge cutting to full depth like the PVC code. I took all 20 .pvc files and imported them into Vcarve, and exported one 12MB gcode file, which ran fine.

Another thing I'm going to do to decrease cutting time is reduce the line spacing; I had it at 25%, but I'm going to increase that to 40% for my next project.

I also changed out my stock spindle for a Dewalt 611, which chews through wood nicely with no jitter. (Should've had that to start with, but you live and learn.)

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

WOW - that is awesome. It's so amazing what we can do with out CNC Routers.

That Crater is really cool.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

weber765
Vectric Craftsman

Post by weber765 »

Hi Binkmeister
I have another idea that might help speed up your process if you have Aspire. What I just tried was to;
open Aspire
create new project
Import your pvc file cut to full depth required in one pass
make your tool path visible
under modeling, create component from tool path
export as STL file ( save name and location)
Close this file

Open new aspire
under modeling tab import your STL model
Now set up your depth of cut in steps or full depth
calculate new tool path

I think this method will let you do your full depth cuts in 1 pass and save you time, let use know how it works out.

Glenn

weber765
Vectric Craftsman

Post by weber765 »

I missed a detail in the previous post , when importing the STL file you must also uncheck the box that says : discard data below zero line.

Glenn

Binkmeister

Post by Binkmeister »

Glenn,
I have Vcarve, but not Aspire - do you know if that would work in Vcarve as well as Aspire?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

You can't create a component from a toolpath in VCarve. That's an Aspire only feature.

Aspire can create components directly from greyscale images as well.

Binkmeister

Post by Binkmeister »

Bummer, $2k is a little out of my hobbyist price range. At least I know the process I have now will work, even if it is a bit of a pain to prepare the files. I'd much rather have it take longer to prepare, rather than stress the machine out too much.

weber765
Vectric Craftsman

Post by weber765 »

Hi Binkmeister

It looks like several people have answered the question already.

Another thought is you may be able to create the stl file in other software or another program if you have that and then import into Vcarve . I think only the newest version of Vcarve will let you import an STL file . If that would though work it may pay to upgrade to latest Vcarve if you have not already.

Glenn

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

Hi Binkmeister,

I do not understand the use of PhotoCarve for this application, especially as you own Vcarve. What kind of data do you use as a source for this process? A stl file?
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

Binkmeister

Post by Binkmeister »

LittleGreyMan wrote:I do not understand the use of PhotoCarve for this application, especially as you own Vcarve. What kind of data do you use as a source for this process? A stl file?
The source file format is a grayscale heightmap image which I'm using to create a 3D relief map. I don't have any .stl files. I tried a .img -> .stl converter, but my file came out to be 2GB and was unusable, so I don't think that's a good option. Photovcarve does what I want, except for the little bug reported at the start of this thread.

After my latest test, I think I can speed things up significantly. I'm going to try a 40% line spacing (up from 25%) and DOC per pass from .07 to .12 on the rough cuts, and go a little faster, at 100 ipm. That should get my cut time on the rough down from 8 hours to about 3. Assuming my Xcarve and new Dewalt 611 spindle can handle those speeds.

Binkmeister

Post by Binkmeister »

Here's a picture of the final cut, before trimming, sanding, and staining.
craterlake_finalcut.jpg