too many z retracts

This forum is for general discussion about PhotoVCarve.
deadgoodcharlie
Vectric Apprentice

too many z retracts

Post by deadgoodcharlie »

Hello all, cutting lithos in sign plastic which is .125 thick and cutting down to .064 . Clearance gap is .2 raster at 45 degree angle, after first initial line is cut every line after the z will retract to safe height , is there another way of removeing those unwanted retract points besides editing the code? thanks for your time in reading.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: too many z retracts

Post by Adrian »

There isn't a safe Z in PhotoVCarve as far as I'm aware. It will move to the rapid clearance gap setting at the end of each line.

deadgoodcharlie
Vectric Apprentice

Thanks Adrian, my bad safe height and rapid clearance gap are pretty much the same thing i think. just dont like the fact that the z retracts after every line cut.I suppose the only way to remove all those is to edit them out in the code leaveing the last one before program end.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

If it doesn't retract it will gouge the surface though. Might not matter on a lithopane as the overlap is so tight but on a normal PhotoVCarve it would.

pops1964
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot buddy bt 32

Post by pops1964 »

Are you looking to change your cut time? You can change your rapid clearance to gain some time . pop's :mrgreen:
POPS1964
SHOPBOT Buddy BT-32

deadgoodcharlie
Vectric Apprentice

Thanks for the input folks ,I changed the clearance gap half of what it was and it did make a difference on time.

JMD
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Probotix GX2525 with rotary

Post by JMD »

deadgoodcharlie wrote:Hello all, cutting lithos in sign plastic which is .125 thick and cutting down to .064 . Clearance gap is .2 raster at 45 degree angle, after first initial line is cut every line after the z will retract to safe height , is there another way of removeing those unwanted retract points besides editing the code? thanks for your time in reading.
You could also try increasing the plunge rate, in the Z axis. That might take a little time off it also.