Feed Rates

This forum is for general discussion about PhotoVCarve.
OLDMAN
Model of CNC Machine: SELFMADE

Feed Rates

Post by OLDMAN »

When using PhotoVCarve with wood is it better to slow down the feed rate or speed up and also what about spindle speed. Fast or Slow?

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: Feed Rates

Post by martin54 »

I use the same feed & speed for PVC that I use in VCP, so what ever speed & feed I use for a certain tool in vcarve pro when cutting wood it will be the same feed & speed in photovcarve, mind you I could be completely wrong as I haven't yet managed to complete a job I am really happy with when cutting wood :lol: :lol:

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Re: Feed Rates

Post by Leo »

I am from a metal cutting machining background, whereas the thought patterns are a bit different than in CNC routing in wood.

What I have learned in this new game is that "CHIPLOAD" is the most important factor.

You will vary the RPM and the Feedrate to get the desired chipload.

Really though - it is not necessarily an exact science - neither is it a black art or magic.

Chip Load = feed rate ( ipm ) ÷ ( cutting rpm x number of cutting edges )

If you know a little algebra I, you can transpose this formula to find RPM, or FEEDRATE, based on the proper chip load.

Generally you can get the chipload from the cutter manufacturer.

NOW - the rest will depend on the capability of your particular machine. Perhaps your machine can handle high feedrates and then perhaps not. You will need to start conservatively and work up from the start point.

Try it - and then ask more specific questions.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC