Edges being cut but nothing else

This forum is for general discussion about PhotoVCarve.
Dingus McGee
Model of CNC Machine: maxnc 10

Re: Edges being cut but nothing else

Post by Dingus McGee »

looks like I need to find another program to carve/engrave... This one is not going to work for me for some reason.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

If you're using the correct Post Processor for your machine it won't be the program and you're likely to have exactly the same problems with another piece of software.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Not sure what you mean by find another bit of software to carve/engrave. I use PVC with mach3 & the only problems I have are down to me rather than either of the software programs. Sure there are also lots of other people using the same combination. Have to admit I rarely cut directly from PVC though, I normally import the PVC file into VCP so I can position it where I want on the work piece.

Haven't used cut2d for quite a long time as I upgraded to VCP, can you import a PVC file into cut2d & if you can have you tried that?

BDM
Vectric Craftsman

Post by BDM »

Dingus McGee wrote:looks like I need to find another program to carve/engrave... This one is not going to work for me for some reason.
It would help if we could see a video, g-code, and *.pvc all of the same project. We have video and g-code of evie, but pvc of the cat, so it's not too helpful. I don't know if it is my eyes, but in the video you have xyz all set to zero at the start, but the bit appears to be above the surface of the material? If that is true, you won't get a proper cut. Also weird that you have the feed rate set to 40 (ipm?), but the plunge and rapids seem to be really slow? Are you sure you have the tool set right and didn't happen to switch it to metric or something?

As everyone else has said, it's not PVC causing your problem, so it's either operator error, a machine problem or something isn't set right in Mach3. If Cut2D still works, that narrows down the possibilities.

daniellyall
Model of CNC Machine: emco pc mill 30 1200 x 2400 x 200 router

Post by daniellyall »

I have been trying to help the op to get his machine working properly on cnczone I check his xml there were some setting set wrong to what I use with the same controller it made it worse changing his setting.

when I tested on my machine testing his original xml and changed xml it was fine using his cut files everything was fine so I would say his computer cant handle the .pvc files or M3 very well some computers are just like that I have suggest he try`s another pc to see if this problem goes away, as his file work fine for others and his Mach3 set up was ok. :D

bill565
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: One of those "Practical"4x4s

Post by bill565 »

Hi Dingus,

Hope you get this straightened out. I do have one question with regards your gcode you posted. When setting it up, are you setting z to the top or the bottom of material in PVC?

I had something that sounds a little bit like a bit of what I had going on, and changing from setting at bottom to the top of material helped. What was happening with mine is I had additional mid cut movement that could not be explained.

Hope this helps.

Bill
Save the Whales, Collect the Whole Set
http://www.bcnc-fab.com

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

daniellyall wrote:I have been trying to help the op to get his machine working properly on cnczone I check his xml there were some setting set wrong to what I use with the same controller it made it worse changing his setting.

when I tested on my machine testing his original xml and changed xml it was fine using his cut files everything was fine so I would say his computer cant handle the .pvc files or M3 very well some computers are just like that I have suggest he try`s another pc to see if this problem goes away, as his file work fine for others and his Mach3 set up was ok. :D
I wouldn't have thought the PC was to much of an issue, normally PC problems are related to parallel port voltages & mach3 plays up or doesn't run at all but the OP is also running cut2d & has no problems with it what so ever which would indicate that mach3 is quite happy running on that particular PC. If cut2d runs without any problems then I would have thought his mach3 settings were OK although they may not be optimised for best use. Still should cut the file ok though.

daniellyall

Post by daniellyall »

there is no reason it should not work the cut2d files may have been smaller than the .pvc files so the computer could be having a brain fart over the .pvc files he trying again now.
he sets the machine up correctly before starting a job

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Some controllers for milling type machines do have problems with combining X,Y and Z moves together.

daniellyall

Post by daniellyall »

you are very correct there I have to do a computer change on my dads machine for the one I have on my machine as mine has never had any demons in it.
I finished doing a rebuild on it on Tuesday it was running like a dream 0.01 to 0.00 on all axis. to day it went mad I told the old man I am going to take the computer for a one way walk and put some big holes in it a 270 should do a good job of it

Samson
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 4x4

Post by Samson »

Have you tried switching the Dir ActiveLow on the Z-axis? My machine did something similar when I tried my first cut and switching solved it.

Hermie
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: custom

Post by Hermie »

Where are you setting Z-0 in PVC, top or bottom? Mach will only do as it's told in your g code. I have never seen Vectric's PVC, or aspire get it wrong, unless it was the inputs I gave it.

Check all your settings in PVC then go have a coffee come back and check once more. I can't tell you how many times I have changed a setting somewhere, spent an hour trying to figure out what was wrong

only to come back after a break to find it was something simple.

Frustrating and P%^$#s me off, but a little patience goes a long way.

Herman:<)