laser engraving

This forum is for general discussion about PhotoVCarve.
jerrywi
Model of CNC Machine: Momus desiign

laser engraving

Post by jerrywi »

I am not sure if this topic has come up before so please bare with me.

i've been routing photos for some time now with PVC and have recently started having a interest in laser engraving and cutting units.
my question is can I use PVC to engrave photos using a laser engraver?

Thanks in advance
Jerry

nicksilva
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ULS M300, Rockler 60th Ann. Shark

Re: laser engraving

Post by nicksilva »

mostly no. the vector lines created by VCP and Aspire are too thick. so even if you can send them to the laser they will be rastered rather than vector cut.
Here is a link to some early tests i did on the laser: http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php? ... 13#p146413
cheers!
"Out of my mind. Back in 5 Minutes."

GeneMpls
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: PRS Buddy48alpha ,4x6' 130w laser, Wazer

Post by GeneMpls »

Interesting topic. I am thinking about a laser too. I normally use FlexiSignPro for my vectors as I have 20 yrs experience with it and export as a .eps. Occasionally I will
export a file from PVC or Aspire to Flexi and notice it always comes in with a stroke on the vectors- easy enough to remove. So for a laser I would save directly from
Flexi? I haven't looked into laser software yet- I am driving out to San Diego for 2-3 weeks and will have time to do some self-help education on lasers. Gene

jerrywi
Model of CNC Machine: Momus desiign

Post by jerrywi »

Gentlemen,
Thank you very much for your response. I've built two CNC machines, each one an improvement over the last. Since then the CNC community has jumped to the 3D printers and affordable 40 watt lasers'.
I've built my hardware and software around my DIY CNC Router and would like to utilize as much of it as possible.

Thanks to all in advance

Jerry

JJWMACHINECO
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Re-worked/Modified K2CNC KG-3925

Post by JJWMACHINECO »

We have laser engraved photos with a Laser Diode using PVC. We started out with TTL, but progressed to varied intensity control.

http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php? ... ser+photos
Extensivly Re-worked/Re-designed/Modified Servo K2CNC KG-3925 and the Mini Laser Engraver

mfirlott
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Stinger 1 (2014)

Post by mfirlott »

I do laser work but mostly on wood and granite. You may want to confirm but I believe lasering PVC is toxic. I vent all my laser work outside with a blower and 4" duct.
(Mitch)
CAMaster Stinger I
Vectric Aspire
Epilog 45watt Helix Laser

JJWMACHINECO
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Re-worked/Modified K2CNC KG-3925

Post by JJWMACHINECO »

mfirlott wrote:I do laser work but mostly on wood and granite. You may want to confirm but I believe lasering PVC is toxic. I vent all my laser work outside with a blower and 4" duct.
The PVC I'm talking about is PhotoVCarve.
Extensivly Re-worked/Re-designed/Modified Servo K2CNC KG-3925 and the Mini Laser Engraver

mfirlott
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Stinger 1 (2014)

Post by mfirlott »

Ha...that's funny. I should of known that but that's what happens when you don't pay attention. :oops:
(Mitch)
CAMaster Stinger I
Vectric Aspire
Epilog 45watt Helix Laser

dhellew2
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Artisan 72 and AVID CNC Rotary

Post by dhellew2 »

Just starting with a laser engraver (Epilog Mini 24-50 watt) but I did ask about the line width when exported from Aspire and this is the answer:

"There is no line thickness specified for our exports. For AI/EPS we just do move to, line to commands and then 'stroke' the paths.
We would expect this to be treated as a 'hairline' within an import package which is usually drawn as a single pixel width irrespective of zoom.
However it up to the importing package to do what they like with them."

The machine is the easy part, software not so much. My primary interest right now is Christmas ornaments in a variety of shapes with a photo etched in the center, the same shape as the object. The issue for me is aligning the vectors and the art.

Certainly would be nice to be able to print right from Aspire.

Always something new to learn and figure out. :shock:

Dale
You will get old if you live long enough!
Young = time, no money
Old = money, no time
Dale