Best bit to carve photos out?

This forum is for general discussion about PhotoVCarve.
emlekarc2938
Model of CNC Machine: 4x4 CNC table router

Best bit to carve photos out?

Post by emlekarc2938 »

Hello!

I'm trying to carve a photo of a plane parked in front of a building, but it will be my first time using PhotoVCarve. Does anyone have any recommendations on what is the best size/type of bit to use? The photo would be carved into wood

Thanks!

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: Best bit to carve photos out?

Post by martin54 »

I've not really been able to get acceptable results in wood but have done a lot of reading & people seem to favour either ballnose cutters or "V" engraving bits with a small flat from what I have read on this forum.
Either 1/18" or 1/16" ballnose bits, maybe best to try each yourself, 1/16" should give better detail but at the expense of extra machining time. Not sure you can always see the extra detail, would bepend a lot on what wood you use & the actual size of the carving.

The half round "V" engraving bits at 60 degree have also been mentioned but can't remember the flat size sorry.

tonydude919
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: cnc mako shark ext bed with HD 5 gantry

Post by tonydude919 »

Check out this topic will help you. http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14396

Tony
What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave

tonydude919
Vectric Wizard

Post by tonydude919 »

What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

tonydude919 wrote:Check out this topic will help you. http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14396

Tony
Didn't help me very much :oops: , think I read about all there was to read on the forum before I tried !!!
Don't really know what it is with mine, maybe it's me just expecting to much from the program or just using the wrong types of wood.

Best of luck with yours though emlekarc2938 hope you have more luck than I did.

tonydude919
Vectric Wizard

Post by tonydude919 »

Martin,

I found out all pictures don't work. You have to try and see like I did. I tried about 5 pics about 2 came out right. It's not easy doing pics on wood.

Tony

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Tony did you actually carve the ones that didn't look so good or did you only get as far as the preview? I must admit I have been trying to carve the same picture rather than trying other pictures, that's mainly because I have done the same sort of thing when working on other tests. When sorting out what woods were best for carving I used the same vector art model, same size, same bit & machine settings to ensure I had the best possible comparison. Was trying to get the best possible results using the same picture but in light of what you have said maybe need to try a different picture. It did seem to look ok in the preview though, I must admit though I don't find the preview as easy to use as the one in vcarve for some reason

tonydude919
Vectric Wizard

Post by tonydude919 »

Whatever you see in the preview is qhat you get when you carve. It does for me. When it doesn't look right I try a different pic.

Tony