question about pvc

This forum is for general discussion about PhotoVCarve.
Brassies
Model of CNC Machine: DIY with dremel

question about pvc

Post by Brassies »

I want to make a pvc with a 1 mm ballnose, what can i fill in on the pass dept? is this also halve the diameter? Because when i do this and i want to carve this
1,5 mm max dept it has 3 passes on Z an it takes a very long time to make something. the program says over 8 hours with settings 16000/20/7....

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: question about pvc

Post by Adrian »

The pass depth is set on the tool itself. If you click the Edit button under the tool name you can change the pass depth there. 0.5mm is probably about as deep as you're going to want to go with a ballnose that small though.

The cutting estimate time is just an estimate until such time as you've actually cut a file and put in a scale factor that matches up with what your machine actually did. From experience though I'd say out of the box with the default scale factor of 2 it probably underestimates the time.

That type of carving (especially if you're doing lithopanes) is not quick as there are so many Z moves and short movements. The machine can never get up to the programmed speed.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: question about pvc

Post by martin54 »

Time is the major factor with PVC unfortunately the program doesn't allow for a roughing pass with a larger diameter bit. I still haven't managed to get results in wood that I am happy with but I am very fussy.
Are you sure you need to go as small as a 1mm bit? I would play about with different sized bits & depths of cut, the preview is very good & will let you see just how good the different tool/depth settings are working out so you don't have to waste a lot of material trying to find something that works.

If you are cutting corian then check out some of the posts in the gallery, a lot of people use 1/16" ballnose bits & get excellent results, closest metric bit to 1/16" would be 1.5mm which would allow you a deeper cut & less machining time but no matter what you use this type of job will take a long time to cut.