Finish product not good

This forum is for general discussion about PhotoVCarve.
Retired 1st Sgt
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Finish product not good

Post by Retired 1st Sgt »

I've tried several times to make this product work. The help videos are short and sweet just like the tool portion of the program. Ive attached a copy of the files from PhotoVCarve along with the picture I started with and a picture of the finished product. The frustration level is pretty high.

I have great luck doing projects with the VCarve Pro program and was excited when I bought the Photo VCarve program however I'm not having any luck.

Any suggestions?
Attachments
picture
picture

Retired 1st Sgt
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Re: Finish product not good

Post by Retired 1st Sgt »

It won't let me upload a picture of the finished product. Basically you can see an outline of where the picture should be. It doesn't show anything that resembles the picture. It takes about an hour and an a half to do (nothing)

tonydude919
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: cnc mako shark ext bed with HD 5 gantry

Post by tonydude919 »

What are you trying to do with it? Do you want to do a lithophane or just carve in wood?

Tony
What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

As Tony says what are you trying to do & at what sort of size?

What resolution is the image you are working with, if you have taken it from the internet then it is more than likely far to low resolution to be usable with photo vcarve.

weber765
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: home built and modified Vytek rebel

Post by weber765 »

I had a lot of problems at first but have done several things that have improved my results when v-carving a photo in wood. Very first thing I do is after clamping in my machine is to completely resurface the entire surface so it is dead flat, I also use between 115 and 130 line spacing with a .035 to .045 depth of cut with a 60 degree cutter. After I cut the project I wire brush and use a tooth brush to clean up the grooves. I then lightly sand, blow dust out and seal several times with shellac, I then add the color, sand off the surface and reapply shellac. I have been using pine boards I purchases at Lowes. I am going to try and attach a 10 x 10 photo of my grand daughters I did and also a screen shot of the setting I would use for the photo you had.
I hope this may help you some.
Glenn
Attachments
001.JPG
settings pvc.pdf
(415.9 KiB) Downloaded 281 times

pjblues
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AutoRoute 6

Post by pjblues »

I have tried using this program with no good results. I may try the wire brush and toothbrush idea. Otherwise I will stick with V Carve Pro.

Thanks.

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

I have found it a very good program, my first tries came out terrible but I knew the lack of success was due to operator error, as 99% of CNC botches are.
Some trial & error and some effort on the users part is required, it is not a magic 1 click masterpeice maker.

Don't know why the forum won't let you upload but in lieu of a better description of what you are trying to do and what you are getting, it really needs to be seen. If necessary upload pic to a photohost like this one http://postimage.org/, copy direct link to clipboard, then use img button to insert it in the post.

Like this

Doug

Jane Ndungu
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: TS1325

Post by Jane Ndungu »

Hi ,
Still New and unfamiliar with this software ever since i bought it have not done even one trial since the preview never gives me a clear picture. Hope to get somewhere now if someones still on this thread. I so the guide steps and followed but i just realized that my PhotoV carve might not be correct. could i have gotten a wrong version? WHen i chck the line spacing in the example given here
the number of lines going upto 305 while the maximum i get is 105. Any explanations to this?
Kindly appreciate your help.

Kind regards
Jane

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

You can type a value in to get more lines. The slider only gives a range rather than everything that is available.

bill565
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: One of those "Practical"4x4s

Post by bill565 »

one of the things I do first is to make sure I run the photo I am going to work on through a editing program and change it to a bitmap. I lso adjust the size I am working with, as it will effect the settings I can apply later. Lithos are addictive and when the finished product is revealed for Good luckthe vcarving it really gives a sense of pleasure.

Trial and error is going to be required as it is hard to try someone elses settings with a different photo and hope for finished product that does not require interaction is a pipe dream. The documentation and tutorial does help for a starting point.

Good Luck, Bill
Save the Whales, Collect the Whole Set
http://www.bcnc-fab.com

Jane Ndungu
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: TS1325

Post by Jane Ndungu »

Thank you all for the quick and kind response. Very grateful for it is very helpful.