First Lithophane with PhotoVCarve

This forum is for general discussion about PhotoVCarve.
maldak
Model of CNC Machine: Flexicam, ShopBot Buddy BT48,Vision 2448

Post by maldak »

Thanks Damian,

So when you use a cut depth of .1 - the remaining material is only .025" ?

I have tried mine on 1/8" and I leave .03 so I guess it's about the
same. My Z height is also about .060 so I cut away .035 off
the top. I'm just trying to find the best method for this. I also
use a .125 ball nose with a .01 stepover. Not sure what you think
of this.

Thanks again

Tom

drodda

Post by drodda »

You need to use a smaller bit to get the fine detail to come out in these. Don't mean to jump in on your conversation but if you follow the tutorial on the vectric site you will get great results. Then you tweak it to your photos and WOW you get even better results.

Dave

maldak

Post by maldak »

Thanks Dave -

I didn't see the tutorial about lithophanes on the site - I guess I'll have to go back there and check it out.

I also saw most people using .250" material and can't understand how they get light through
it when the material gets too thick.

Thanks again

Tom

drodda

Post by drodda »

If you look at this post
http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=194

Tony has a link to the tutorials.

I start with 1/2" corian and then mill it down to the 1/4" because that is what we have available. I think corian has a better contrast than does actylic.

The photo taking ability of your camera does also have much to do with how they look on the forum. I have a very expensive professional digital camera and that allows me to play with the settings while taking a picture of the litho. The back lighting is also a very important part of the equation. Probably the most important part.

As I have said many times in the past. The Photo V-carve software does all the work. Tony and Brian have taken most of the guess work out of doing these. You get way more out of the software than they are asking for such a small price.

Hope this helps,

Dave

maldak

Post by maldak »

Thanks again Dave -

I found it and it makes things very clear. I can also use my small engraver with this as they have the Post Processor for it as well. I just installed the trial and played for 2 minutes - it looks like I'm going to just buy it as it really does look like it can do many things.

I think I may order some Avonite 1/8" material and try larger pieces out. I'll compare it to the Corian when I get this next week also.

Thanks again

Tom

dman
Vectric Craftsman

Post by dman »

I use a 3/64"(.047) ballnose cutter with a stepover rate of 10 - 15%. Details in even small 3"x5" pictures come out very well.

dman
Vectric Craftsman

Post by dman »

Dave,
Can you tell me where you are getting the Avonite? I would like to try it also.
Damian

maldak

Post by maldak »

Hi Damian,

Can you tell me where you get these cutters and are they all carbide?

As for the Avonite - I called the distributor in West Berlin, CT. Go to
www.avonitesurfaces.com - there's a locator on top for dealers and
distributors. I'm sure you have one close to you in WV. I will also buy some so if
you want I can get some and send some to you as well. I'm just not sure
how much you would need so you may be better off getting it locally.

Thanks

Tom

dman
Vectric Craftsman

Post by dman »

Tom,
I have actually found the ballnose cutters on ebay. Do a search for the seller - drillman1. I got 1/8" and 3/64" ball cutters from him and they have worked very well for me so far. I have a total of 5 3/'64" cutters because I figured they would break easy but they seem to last very well. I think I would still be using the first one if I didn't jog the darn thing into the table and snap it off :cry: . Right now I am on the second and have cut 5 lithos plus 3D carvings in wood with no sign of it being dull. They are solid carbide with 4 flutes. Thanks for the info on Avonite. What kind of price are you expecting to pay for it? You can order it in 1/8" sheets?

maldak

Post by maldak »

Thanks Damian,

I ordered some of these. I was getting Onsrud cutters but they're much more expensive and I'm not sure worth the extra money.

As for Corian - they are different than Avonite. Corian sells mostly 1/2" and 1/4". Avonite sells mostlt 1/2" and 1/8". I tried to order 1/4" and it was special order - and I would have to get a pallett of 20 sheets to get it. They have the 1/8" sheets available. You may have to work it out with the distributor or dealer. As for price - I'll check the book they gave me later and let you know the price and sheet size. I think they are 30"x96".

Tom

maldak

Post by maldak »

Hi Damian,

It looks like these are 30"x144" sheets of 1/8" material.
It shows my cost at $164 per sheet plus a delivery cost - and they have a little
less cost if I buy quantity - over 10 sheets at a time. They have a color of Powder #8025.
I'm going to look into this a little further too. You may be able to do well buying
also from a local fabricator.

Thanks

Tom

Lrob
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Lrob »

Damian

Very nice work, what have you used to backlight the lithophanes. Wattage and type of fixture.

Larry

dman
Vectric Craftsman

Post by dman »

I use a 7.5 watt bulb with a snap in candelabra base. I make a box 3.5" deep and paint the inside of the box a glossy bright white. Drill in a 1" hole in the center of the box in the back and snap in the candelabra base with the light. Works very well with lights up to a 5x7 size. In one of my other posts I have a 9x7 photo that looks pretty good also but the edges start to fade out a bit. I have not tried a higher watt bulb as I thought it may produce too much heat but it may work OK.