Looking for bits (size / shape) for PhotoVcarve and Litho's

This forum is for general discussion about PhotoVCarve.
kristenanne77
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShapeOko 2

Looking for bits (size / shape) for PhotoVcarve and Litho's

Post by kristenanne77 »

I will soon be trying out the PhotoVcarve for engraving into wood and after success with that, to try a lithophane.
I am looking for basic bits to use for doing this.
Can anyone recomend a good selection of the type and size bits they use for this and where they obtained them?

Also, it seems like some options in the program are for a ball end type bit.
When would someone want to use a ball end bit instead of a V shaped bit for this finely etched type of work?
I would think a ball end would not produce as fine a result as a V shaped, but I am new to this and do not know much about this yet.

Thanks
K

bill565
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: One of those "Practical"4x4s

Re: Looking for bits (size / shape) for PhotoVcarve and Lith

Post by bill565 »

Welcome aboard.

I would recommend looking at http://www.centuriontools.com/

They have a couple of starter sets and this is the route I went. I also have a couple of CMT orange 90 degree and 60 degree bits that I use for general v bit carving as they hold up very well for photo side of wood engraving.

As for the lithophane, many different options, and I use a 30 degree bit from centurion tools as my go to as it has a wickedly sharp point and does the job for me. I set it up for a small ball nose in the software.

As for the when to use a ball nose, I find that both do well, and the smaller the bit the more detail. The vbit for me has always given more sharp corners and more vivid detail and that is what I want. As for a smooth surface, the ball nose does leave a better finish, and I use these for more of a 3d type of process.

There is a lot of good advice on the forum and the learning sections.

Good luck. Bill
Save the Whales, Collect the Whole Set
http://www.bcnc-fab.com