A newbies journey into Photo v carve.

This forum is for general discussion about PhotoVCarve.
Creative Structures
Model of CNC Machine: Industrial CNC

A newbies journey into Photo v carve.

Post by Creative Structures »

Hello I've been a carpenter my whole life. But I'm very new to the cnc world. I'm going to start this thread to document my journey. And hopefully help people along the way.
My first attempt was a photo of a tiger.
Original photo
Original photo
. I used a 60 degree v carve bit. Here are my pitiful results.
first attempt
first attempt
. So after some research I switched to a 7.5 degree engraving bit. With a .065 tip. I was hoping this would get rid of the lines. My only problem was the bit tip was to small to match the line spacing. But I tried anyway.
second attempt
second attempt
. Much better results, but still left lines. So I have decided to order a different bit. Going to go with a carving bit but with a larger tip to help match the lines spacing.

So I thought I knew what I was doing so I tried a pic of my daughter. With the carving bit, trying to match the line spacing to my bit tip.
tt attempt.jpg
Horrible results. I played with the depth quite a bit but could not get the detail and better. I'm hoping a better bit with a slightly larger tip and less of an angle will help. I will order one tomorrow, and post my new finding in a few days.

In my research I've come up with a very newbie question. When people call for an overlap of say 35% when setting up a tool path what do they mean by this?

BDM
Vectric Craftsman

Re: A newbies journey into Photo v carve.

Post by BDM »

Try removing the background in the photos first and then proceed with your bit test. You'll have more contrast and take less time to carve.

Creative Structures

Can anyone explain or offer help in what is meant when people adjust overlay?

tonydude919
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: cnc mako shark ext bed with HD 5 gantry

Post by tonydude919 »

Hi,

Have you looked at the tutorials on http://support.vectric.com/training-mat ... hotovcarve and did you look at the help contents in photo vcarve program? Look at the following attachments. I use a 10 % stepover most of the time.

Tony
Attachments
stepover 1.JPG
stepover.JPG
What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave

Creative Structures

Very helpful Ty. And yes I do look at and read the tutorials. I just overwhelm myself with info. So much to learn. So much to do. I'm very excited, I can't sleep at night. I want to make everything.

Creative Structures

I have never used Photo shop, but my wife owns Microsoft word. This part of the program seems to remove backgrounds very easy.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word- ... 55182.aspx

Creative Structures

Try number three. 35% step over instead of 120%. The bright back ground had a huge effect on the detail in this one.
j1.jpg

Slow and steady wins the race. I do have a "control" picture I'm working with I just wanted to try this one.

Creative Structures

Not much interaction or help on this forum. Can anyone recommend a forum where people actually reply or comment on posts? Does Shark have a good forum?

CharlieP
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: Saimsmart CNC

Post by CharlieP »

Hi Creative,

You seem to be making good progress.
What do you need assistance with?

pops1964
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot buddy bt 32

Post by pops1964 »

hello looks like your coming along well. Not alot of info out there on doing this on wood . I do tons of lithos and i'am getting ready for my first one on wood I need to do a memorial plaque for a family member . Xray sent me to a thread that goes to the best wood lithos I've ever seen. But the man doesnt get on the forum anymore you can see it mine is the next post down asking for help with lithos on wood under POPS1964. I hope you'll answer a question for me I'll be starting this week with my attemps and maybe we can help each other along. What are you doing for a finish to fill in the shadow lines thanks and good luck . pops
POPS1964
SHOPBOT Buddy BT-32

Creative Structures

pops1964 wrote:hello looks like your coming along well. Not alot of info out there on doing this on wood . I do tons of lithos and i'am getting ready for my first one on wood I need to do a memorial plaque for a family member . Xray sent me to a thread that goes to the best wood lithos I've ever seen. But the man doesnt get on the forum anymore you can see it mine is the next post down asking for help with lithos on wood under POPS1964. I hope you'll answer a question for me I'll be starting this week with my attemps and maybe we can help each other along. What are you doing for a finish to fill in the shadow lines thanks and good luck . pops
For the finish I use flat black spray paint. then lightly sand. Boot polish works well too. Wipe it on, the clean it off the surface.