detailed cuts

This forum is for general discussion about PhotoVCarve.
rjcm28806@yahoo.com
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD Pro Plus

detailed cuts

Post by rjcm28806@yahoo.com »

I just got my Shark and am trying to cut a very detailed intense picture of a dragon. It's seems I have the wrong bit (the vee bit supplied by shark) but have no idea what bit I should use. Any suggestions? Thanks

CharlieP
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: Saimsmart CNC

Re: detailed cuts

Post by CharlieP »

Hi,

If you are doing a grayscale or lithophane cut then, I am sure that some other users will have more experience then me but usually I would use a number of small ballnose bits to do good detail. Usually with a 1/8th for the final pass and a step over of 8-15%

The lower the more detail but rapidly increases cut time!

tonydude919
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: cnc mako shark ext bed with HD 5 gantry

Post by tonydude919 »

If you have a cnc shark go on to their forum. http://cncsharktalk.com/viewforum.php?f=2. Lots of help with the machine and programs. I do lots of lithophanes myself. I use a .125 ball nose and a .0625 ballnose bits. Use a stepover of 10% on your tool.

Tony
What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave

BDM
Vectric Craftsman

Post by BDM »

Some of it depends on the size of your final picture, but I use either a 1/16" ballnose or a 30 degree vbit, with the vbit method being the easiest (tell PVC you're using a .03 ballnose).