Profile Cut Open Curve 3 passes - Optimize

This forum is for general discussion about PhotoVCarve.
jobo
Model of CNC Machine: Home made

Profile Cut Open Curve 3 passes - Optimize

Post by jobo »

I am doing a profile cut of an open curve that takes 3 passes.

1) The cut starts on the right side of the piece
2) cuts through the piece
3) stops on the left side.
4) At this time, the bit picks up on the Z to clear the part, goes back to the right side,
5) starts the second pass and cuts through the piece

Is there a way to make it cut from right to left and then drop and cut left to right?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Profile Cut Open Curve 3 passes - Optimize

Post by Adrian »

Presumably you're using Cut2D, VCarve or Aspire as photovcarve can't do what you're describing.

If the tool didn't lift and return to the start then it wouldn't be respecting the requested climb/conventional cutting direction as specified in the toolpath.

One way of doing what you want (although it may not given you the finish of cut you're expecting because of the climb/conventional reasons) is to duplicate the vector so you have three of them. Change the start node of the one of them to the opposite side of the others and then create three toolpaths with the one having the reversed start node in the middle. Each one will have a cut depth equal to the pass depth and a start depth equal to the cut depth so far.

jobo
Model of CNC Machine: Home made

Re: Profile Cut Open Curve 3 passes - Optimize

Post by jobo »

I am using VCarve - I was thinking about doing three operation as you suggested but was hoping there was a way to ignore climb/conventional. I am doing a profile cut-off at the end of a board - so each pass is a full cut so I didn't care too much about the direction.

Ill try the 3 vector approach.