How to machine Lithophanes with PhotoVCarve

This forum is for general discussion about PhotoVCarve.
maldak
Model of CNC Machine: Flexicam, ShopBot Buddy BT48,Vision 2448

Post by maldak »

Thanks Dave -

It all makes sense now. I was using ArtCam which allows for 2 tools to be
used on the same part - so this took all of this into account. Then I would save each
tool and run then at different times too - and it was all done for me. I just didn't
think of this.

Thanks again

Tom

Bow4IT

Post by Bow4IT »

How is different from ArtCam...........Do both programs give the same result???

maldak

Post by maldak »

ArtCam allows for more than 1 tool for each piece - so you can rough the part and finish it with 2 tools without having to try to trick the router. I guess the results are almost the same. I'm getting some material and I will do some tests. I like the fact that PhotoVCarve does things quicker and easier though. ArtCam also is $7,500 - so PhotoVCarve is a steal for $149. I downloaded the trial version but haven't routed yet - but what I have seen is really very nice. If I had neither and wanted to get started with this - there's no question I'd go with PhotoVCarve as it really does the same thing - with only possibly one more small step. VCarve is easier to use I think also. I'll be purchasing VCarve next week also.

ArtCam also has a load of other 3D carving and modeling. Doing these lithophanes is just a part of it really.

drodda

Post by drodda »

Learning curve to Photo-Vcarve is "minutes"

Learning curve to artcam is "months to years" They won't even sell it to you without you taking classes.

If you have had Artcam for some time and are proficient with it then you could probably get these results. But I guarentee you that from the time I hand you a disk with each of these programs on them you will be finished carving your first Litho with Photo-vcarve before even getting a usable cutting file with artcam if you have never used either program before.

Time from taking photo to carveing in photo-vcarve is minutes.

In artcam it is longer.

This whole 2 bit, one bit thing is really very easy once you get it the light goes on and it's a no brainer. Unless you have a tool changer it is no different for either program you still have to change the bit and rezero the new bit. I have been using many different software packages for awhile on my Prt alpha. This is by far the simplest software to use that I have ever found for milling period.

Of course this is just my Opinion,

Dave

maldak

Post by maldak »

Hi Dave -

I would agree with you on everything really, although a dealer will sell you ArtCam without a problem - then they charge about $1,400 for the training !

The bottom line is for $149 - this is a very good program and does a great job.

Since I do have to replace tools anyway as I don't have a toolchanger - it really isn't a problem to reset the tool anyway. Having both programs - I think I would use PhotoVCarve for the purpose more than ArtCam. It's just easier and less time consuming.

Tom

bakerkr

Will these bits work?

Post by bakerkr »

Tony,

You mentioned using Conical Tip Radiussed Engraving Cutter, I found this bit (pic attached). I purchased from Bits and Bits, details of bit are: 1 x 815-PR40-- -1/8 x 1½" Profile Tool 40° Tip Size .045.

Also about the toolpath. Would I simply setup a roundnose bit with a cut diameter of .045?

Thanks,
Kevin
Attachments
28554-815-PR40_01_LRG.jpg
(11.76 KiB) Downloaded 452 times

Tony Mac
Vectric Alumni

Post by Tony Mac »

Hi Kevin,

Thats perfect for the job!

Yes, use a Ball nose cutter that's equal to the Diameter of your engraving cutter.

Remember the Top Tip of cutting at 45 degrees as this will recuse the load on the cutter
for the initial pass that otherwise (cutting at 0 degrees) may break the cutter.

If the cutter has a long enough cutting edge you may be able to cut the job in a single
pass without having to first rough machine the stock away. But again make sure you
cut at 45 degrees.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Tony

bakerkr

Thanks!

Post by bakerkr »

Tony,

Just wanted to give you and the folks at Vectric a huge pat on the back! You guys are GREAT! Thanks for all the help!

Kevin

tgm
Vectric Craftsman

Machining lithopanes........

Post by tgm »

Tony,

After purchasing VCarve and Photo Vcarve a few weeks ago for our Irish Pub project we want to machine some lithopanes also for the job. I know this sounds stupid but does the carving artwork need to be mirrored since machining is taken place on the back of the pane??

Thanks for a great site.

Tom in PA

Tony Mac
Vectric Alumni

Post by Tony Mac »

Hi Tom,

The photo / artwork does not need to be mirrored as Lithophanes are typically viewed from the front machined surface.

You do need to ensure the Invert Light / Dark option is switched on before calculating toolpaths.

In case you haven't already done so, it would be worth taking a look at the video and documentation for Lithophanes,

http://vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=766#766

Good luck!

Tony

bakerkr

Post by bakerkr »

Tony,

When using the engraving cutters, you said to create the toolpath using a ballnose setup. I noticed in the tool database the "engraving" is one of the too types. Why not use this vice the ballnose type?

Thanks,
Kevin

Tony Mac
Vectric Alumni

Post by Tony Mac »

Hi Kevin,

Because the 3D range for the Lithophane is relatively shallow at around 0.100", calculating the toolpath for a Ball ended cutter will give a better approximation to the ball nosed engraving cutter you are actually going to us to cut the piece. Calculating the toolpath for a Flat tipped engraving cutter will then cause the actual cutter to over-cut.

In practice you'll find there won't be much difference, but I do think using a Ball nose cutter will give slightly better results.

Hope this helps,

Tony

js11110
Vectric Wizard

Post by js11110 »

Tony,

The .045 engraving bit thats in the post 5 or 6 above this one has a flat tip, is this right? I went to bits and bits and was looking at their cutters and they don't have ball nose engraving cutters, just endmills. I can use a flat tip engraver like the one above to do lithophanes?

Jason

js11110
Vectric Wizard

Post by js11110 »

Hey I just noticed... I became a "VCarve Craftsman" with that last post!!!

CRFultz
Vectric Wizard

Post by CRFultz »

js11110 wrote:Tony,

The .045 engraving bit thats in the post 5 or 6 above this one has a flat tip, is this right? I went to bits and bits and was looking at their cutters and they don't have ball nose engraving cutters, just endmills. I can use a flat tip engraver like the one above to do lithophanes?

Jason
Jason a ball cutter will give you better results

http://www.precisebits.com

I use .04 bits and they work very well.

This is the only litho I still have...i only cut them on a per order bases
Attachments
Lithopane_cut.jpg
(333.91 KiB) Downloaded 482 times
Backlit_litho.jpg
(276.46 KiB) Downloaded 495 times