PhotoVCarve Tool Database change

This forum is for general discussion about PhotoVCarve.
Win Brayer
Model of CNC Machine: Mako CNC Shark HD

PhotoVCarve Tool Database change

Post by Win Brayer »

How do I get to my tool database in PhotoVCarve. I want to replace the one there now with a whole new database. It is very easy in VCarve pro but I can't find the file in PhotoVCarve.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: PhotoVCarve Tool Database change

Post by Adrian »

PhotoVCarve is an older program so the tool database is not in the same location as the other programs, and more importantly, is not compatible with the other programs. You can only replace the database file with another PhotoVCarve one.

It's location depends on which version of Windows you are running and, if it's Vista or later, if you have the User Account Control security features enabled.

The starting point for the tools.tool_db file (the database) is Program Files\PhotoVCarve\ToolDatabase on a 32 bit system and Program Files(x86)\PhotoVCarve\ToolDatabase on a 64 bit system.

However the versions of Windows I mentioned consider it a security breach for a user to be able to modify files in the Program Files area so they create shadow copies of the file which overrides the one in the Program Files area.

You may well find another version in C:\Users\"LOGIN NAME"\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\PhotoVCarve\ToolDatabase where "LOGIN NAME" is the user you use when running Windows.

Win Brayer
Model of CNC Machine: Mako CNC Shark HD

Re: PhotoVCarve Tool Database change

Post by Win Brayer »

Thanks I will try your suggestion.