Some of my work in my first week ...

This forum is for general discussion about PhotoVCarve.
dman
Vectric Craftsman

Some of my work in my first week ...

Post by dman »

:D Some of the work I have done with PhotoVCarve in my first week. I am experimenting with different woods and cut setups to see what will give me the best results. Very good software, can't wait to get the Vcarve to go with it!
Attachments
Router 021.jpg
Walnut
(304.97 KiB) Downloaded 529 times
Router 010.jpg
Poplar
(679.19 KiB) Downloaded 533 times
M3.JPG
Pine
(41.05 KiB) Downloaded 606 times

Dan.H.
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: 1325 Intech and 6090 Intech

Post by Dan.H. »

Good looking work, and kids too..you can't go wrong with VCarve..it is very good software..cheers....Dan

hbhbbb

Post by hbhbbb »

Thanks Dan,
I'm hoping to make some money doing these pics so I can afford the Vcarve software. This is all just a hobby at the present time. Sooner or later I will have it. It seems to be the best all around software I've found in a price range hobby guys like me could afford. Everything else is megabucks. Can't applaud the Vectric team enough.

Damian

RoutnAbout
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 24x18 Desktop

Post by RoutnAbout »

Damian,

Looks Good... how thick is the material with the Popular and the Walnut?. The poplar looks thin, .125" ?
And as far as VCarve, their service and response to help with questions is as good as their software.
Also there is rumors that here on the forum you might catch a glimps of VCarve and Photo VCarve wizards look like.
Again good job, You'll have the whole package in no time at all.

Don
Roll of Honor <-- Never Forget
________
Don

dman
Vectric Craftsman

Post by dman »

The poplar is 3/4" thick but it is small (3 1/2 inches). I ordered new cutters to use that should be here sometime next week so I am hoping for even better results. I have only been using 60 deg router bit and a 30 deg dremel bit. The 60 deg bit is good but for small items I need more resolution. The dremel bit is a OK but I think real engraving cutters will do a better job. I'll post more when I get the new cutters. I just looked over Tony's lithos and now need to start lookiing for corian and small ball end cutters!! Wow those look good!

dman
Vectric Craftsman

Post by dman »

More examples - This one done in Maple. It seems to be the best so far. Poplar seems to work OK too. The lighter the wood the better. I tried Oak and the results were not great. It worked OK but too much grain showing up in oak. A straight grained piece of oak would work out OK I think. I have some cherry I am going to try today and will post the results.
Attachments
J3.JPG
(21.16 KiB) Downloaded 466 times
J2.JPG
(56.58 KiB) Downloaded 476 times
J1.JPG
(41.76 KiB) Downloaded 501 times

richard

Post by richard »

WOW Your work looks great how did you get the color in ? we are using pine ? whats the best cuting depth you have found for a 8 x 8 how long are they taking ? can i get your email so i can email you Qustion great looking work i would love any help you can give me

dman
Vectric Craftsman

Post by dman »

Thanks Richard for the kind words.
I will email you tonight when I get home and give you some of the details on how I have done the pictures. I will also post a few more examples using a different method I tried. It also worked well. The first thing I will tell you is to use hardwoods of somekind. Poplar seems to work well and doesn't cost alot to make some test pieces. Straight grained hardwood. I too have tried pine with very mixed results. Chips way too easy when the lines spacing is close. Maple is the best I have tried so far.
Damian

dman
Vectric Craftsman

Post by dman »

Yet more samples...
This picture was done using artists charcoal for the fill color. I first cut the picture on bare wood (maple). Then I used a wiping/gel stain and coated with the first coat of poly after stain dried. After the poly dried, I used a stick of artists charcoal and went across the grooves. Then I wiped away the excess charcoal. If I wiped away too much, I would just go back over the area again. This allowed me to work with the piece until I was happy with the outcome. With paint fill, it is hard to have enough work time to get the best result. After I was happy with the outcome I sprayed on the next coat of poly and sealed the charcoal into the grooves. This really does look good. The picture just doesn't do it justice on how good it really looks.
Damian
Attachments
MLD2.JPG
(33.07 KiB) Downloaded 482 times
MLD1.JPG
(33.29 KiB) Downloaded 490 times

richard

Post by richard »

Wow looks great so do you like the artist calk the best? i am sending pic of my work i have not had a good result yet

dman
Vectric Craftsman

Post by dman »

Artist charcoal works well but it does have a downside that it is not as dark as the paint. I think that limits the rest of the wood to be a very light color of stain. Paint will give the best results but is harder to get there. These are my opinions and someone else may have a better way. This is just what I have experienced so far in doing the photos.

richard

Post by richard »

thank you for your help i tryed using spray paint but it did not work well i have sent you a email with pics

dman
Vectric Craftsman

Baby Sample Picture

Post by dman »

This is what I got when I used these parameters with the sample Baby picture:
1 - Picture size is Width 5.0 Height 5.8 inches
2- Cutting Parameters
V-Bit 60 Deg bit
Carving Max Depth - 0.06
Line Spacing - 160% (This comes out to: Number of Lines (66) Distance between lines (0.111)
Line Angle 33.0
Increase Contrast - 100%
This sample was done in some scrap Pine with no pre-finishing (bare wood). After cutting I sprayed flat black directly onto the bare wood and carving and let dry. Then I sanded until the samples came out to what you see. This is a rather crude sample due to no pre-finishing of the wood and done in pine(which to my experience gives marginal results).I have some bleeding or wicking of the paint due to not sealing the wood first before carving and painting but it still came out pretty well.
Attachments
BABY2.JPG
(36.29 KiB) Downloaded 2122 times
Baby1.JPG
(46.68 KiB) Downloaded 2127 times