Photo V Carve Trial Tool Feed Rate Question

This forum is for general discussion about PhotoVCarve.
CastleWorks

Photo V Carve Trial Tool Feed Rate Question

Post by CastleWorks »

Hi,

I am testing out the Photo V Carve trial version doing a lithophane. I plan to use a 1/8" ball nose for the roughing path and a 0.040" ball nose for the finish path. For material I am using Corian.

I am using a porter cable router that runs at 27,500 RPM and do not have the ability to reduce that speed.

Do you have suggestions on what my feed rate should be? I am concerned about breaking a bits and I have never cut Corian before and do not know what to expect there.

Thanks

Kevin

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: Photo V Carve Trial Tool Feed Rate Question

Post by Rcnewcomb »

I've attached a document with some suggested feed rates for various materials. Note that the feeds are given in inches per SECOND
a 1/8" ball nose for the roughing
I think a 1/8" end mill might be a better choice for roughing. Try 120 IPM
a 0.040" ball nose for the finish path
That is tiny! Do you need to go that small? Your machine times might be extremely long. You might be better served using a V bit which would be less fragile
I am using a porter cable router that runs at 27,500 RPM and do not have the ability to reduce that speed. Do you have suggestions on what my feed rate should be
Since you can't reduce the speed on the finishing pass I'd try to move as fast as the machine will allow, particularly if you use the V bit. Typically the limiting factor is how fast your Z axis will move. Do you happen to know what the max speed is on your machine for Z movement?
Attachments
Bits__Speeds__Feeds_01-38344.pdf
(15.71 KiB) Downloaded 257 times
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

CastleWorks

Post by CastleWorks »

I was going with these bit sizes based on the tutorial video shown on Vectric's site for making a lithophane.

I am not sure on the Z axis speed, I will check

So does Corian have issues with re welding similar to lexan or other plastics?

BDM
Vectric Craftsman

Post by BDM »

Follow the tips in this tutorial and it's simple. You can ignore the part about making a shape, the important piece is using a 30 degree v-bit and doing one pass in 1/4" corian. It's never failed me yet.

http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtopic. ... lit=corian