Fastest Speed

This forum is for general discussion about PhotoVCarve.
woody53
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Probotix Meteor 25 x 50

Fastest Speed

Post by woody53 »

I have done alot of lithopanes in corian. I got a new machine and have a lot of people wanting lithos. I know its a time consuming project, but how fast in IPM has anyone really run one ? I ran one the other day, 5 1/2 square at 20 IPM and came out perfect. So, how much faster can I go ?

calgrdnr
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot prt with 4g upgrade

Re: Fastest Speed

Post by calgrdnr »

I run mine at 180 ipm but does it run that fast ? NO but still much faster then 20ipm :)

It depends on the Z axis speed/accelaeration how fast can your Zaxis go Lithophane is akin to 3d carving
it goes up and down many times

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

the speed that you will be able to cut at is going to vary so much from one machine to the next that really the only way you will find out for sure what your machine will safely cut at & give good results is to work it out for yourself. If you have lots to do for people then just up the speed a bit for each one you do until you hit a point where you are happy or you don't get the results your looking for.

woody53
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Probotix Meteor 25 x 50

Post by woody53 »

Thanks guys. I just didnt want to ruin some corian going full tilt. I asked specifically how fast I could run a litho before I bought the machine, and was told I couldnt run it too fast that the machine couldnt keep up. So, I will try something faster.

NormanAlbert
Vectric Wizard

Post by NormanAlbert »

Hi: Yup, z axis controls just how fast your machine can do the work. Set your clearance height as low as possible is one way to gain speed. In Corian I start with .20 inches thick and cut .15 into that for good results. I'm even thinking of making a 2,3 or 4 gang z axis set up to cut that many at the same time for multiple quantities of the same job. Any one tried that? Norm

rdean33422
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: RF31, 4X8 Router both CNC

Post by rdean33422 »

Norm

yes quite a few out there, do a Google search for "multihead router"

Shouldn't be too hard on your machine.

Ray