Not getting results

This forum is for general discussion about PhotoVCarve.
jerrywi
Model of CNC Machine: Momus desiign

Not getting results

Post by jerrywi »

Hello Group;

I've been playing around with my photo-v-carve program for awhile, just getting use to using the software and watching the tutorials and looking at the group's projects, by the why they all look great.

So today I decided to warm up my DIY CNC and load a test picture of my son.

I used a piece of scrap oak ply wood.

I copied all the data that was used on the sample programs into my photo project.

Every thing seemed to be cutting okay.

After the project was done cutting, I cleaned it up a bit and to my disappointment I could barley make out the image (the cut area was 8" x 10"), The depth of cut .03.

I remembered that someone on the forum mentioned to lightly stain the wood and that would bring the image out. I did so and that made it worse.

I cut a second piece but this time I stained the board first and then cut. the same results.

The review area of photo v carve showed a great results of what the finish cut would look like but that's not what I got.

I hope I've given enough information so that you might figure out what I might be doing wrong, if not let me know.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanking everyone in advance

Jerry

PaulRowntree
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: homebuilt 4'x2' (Mach3+G540)

Re: Not getting results

Post by PaulRowntree »

Hi Jerry
A photo of the final product would help show what is going on. How accurately do you think Z=0 was set? Was it to the top of the material? V-carving is very sensitive to the accuracy of Z=0 at the top of the material, since the sub-millimeter cut depths can be lost so easily; the material surface could be less uniform than this. Some folks will machine the top of the material flat on the CNC first.
Cheers!
Paul Rowntree
WarpDriver, StandingWave, Topo and gadgets available at PaulRowntree.weebly.com

tonydude919
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: cnc mako shark ext bed with HD 5 gantry

Post by tonydude919 »

You would be better off using maple or a light colored hardwood. What are your line spacing settings? Every picture will have different settings. If you can post a photo that would help. Also what bit are you using?

Tony
What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Use a scraper on the one you stained and lightly scrap the stained area. The image may begin to emerge.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

jerrywi
Model of CNC Machine: Momus desiign

Post by jerrywi »

Thank you all for the input and I'll try to get a file together and post it.

Went back with a 3rd attempt and didn't get too far. My z axis coupler came loose and the router and bit fell and went through my project board (@@##$%%%??!!!!)

So I think I will give it up for the night and Thanks again for the input

Jerry