PhotoVCarving into Plexiglass

This forum is for general discussion about PhotoVCarve.
Tony Mac
Vectric Alumni

PhotoVCarving into Plexiglass

Post by Tony Mac »

We tested the PhotoVCarve process using a piece of translucent Plexiglass (Perspex in the UK) and the results were very impressive. Interestingly we also found that the process of carving grooves into this material very quickly creates an effect that is very similar to Lithophanes!

The piece shown below is 5 1/2" high x 4 1/2" wide, Carving max depth of 0.030" and was cut using a 60 degree engraving cutter running at 3/4" / sec and took around 10 minutes to engrave.

Leaving the Plexiglass unfinished works very well as Lithophane when lit from behind.

Painting the grooves black and wiping the excess off the surface makes the picture more visible without having to change the lighting. However, I did find it tricky to leave the paint in the grooves as it tended to wipe off. Maybe, using a flexible scraper to apply the paint will also scrape the surface clean.

Finishing this type of material needs more investigation and any ideas would be welcome?

I must add that as always, the actual piece looks much better than the photographs.

Tony
Attachments
Plexi_6.jpg
Finished with black paint
(53.98 KiB) Downloaded 526 times
Plexi_4.jpg
(64.82 KiB) Downloaded 526 times
Plexi_3.jpg
Lithophane
(195.11 KiB) Downloaded 493 times
Plexi_1.jpg
Straight off the machine and looks like the process has failed.
(34.83 KiB) Downloaded 599 times

Wemme
Vectric Wizard

Post by Wemme »

Hello Tony.
These look good especially the unpainted version back lit looks very nice.
This opens an area of window hangings as a possible product range.
Keep up the good work.
Cheers
Bart

RoutnAbout
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 24x18 Desktop

Post by RoutnAbout »

Tony,

I haven't had the pleasure to actually use the software except for playing with the demo version here on my home system, but hope to do some cutting this weekend.

When cutting any of these, did the shavings get hot and melt back to its self? I know I had a very large graphic I had to etch into .75"( 19mm ) thick acrylic, and I was just breaking the surface by .002-.005" ( 0.0508 - 0.127 mm ). It wasn't that the chips were melting back to the material but sticking to the cutter. I ended up having to blow air at the same time I was etching.

I know my application was different than what your trying to acheive here. But my parameters were 3000 rpms and feedrate was .400"/sec ( 10 mm ). Again just breaking the surface by .002-.005" ( 0.0508 - 0.127 mm ). The graphic size was 4" height x 38" wide. I had to use the slow feedrate so the machine wouldn't over travel, the edges had to be crisp.
The engraving tool that is very simular to the one at the bottom of the following link. http://www.gspinc.com/products/routers/ ... grave.html

And I must add that the images look good. And in time will be adding the software to my software arsenal.

Don
Roll of Honor <-- Never Forget
________
Don

Tony Mac
Vectric Alumni

Post by Tony Mac »

Hi Don,

You are correct - this material can be difficult to machine and the piece I cut did weld back into the grooves.

I ran the toolpath twice and the run cleaned out the grooves very well.

There are 2 basic types of Acrylic - Cast and Extruded and I believe the Cast version machines better than the Extruded.

Looking around for suppliers of engraving cutters in the US I found,

http://www.2linc.com/engraving_tool...graving%20tools

Catalog No. 10134 .005" Tip, 1/4" (.250") Dia, 2" long, 60 degree angle - $16.35 ea

Catalog No. 10108 is the same tool but 1/8" diameter at $9.55 ea.

Looks like the min order qty is 3 tools

http://www.bitsbits.net/index.php?main_ ... 10f0d328b5

This company offer even smaller Tip diamters which is better for small jobs, and you can order single cutters at $12.50 ea.

Hope this helps,

Tony

RoutnAbout
Vectric Wizard

Post by RoutnAbout »

Thanks Tony,

I booked marked both sites. But I have the fortunate benefit of having access to six, 7 axis cnc tool grinders that we use for manufacture and regrind mills and drills and other assorted carbide and HSS tools. So I usually make and resharpen my own. ( maybe its time for a plug ) Can't find the tool you (VCW associates or anyone ) need, Just send me an email with the information you need and I can get back with you to confirm your specifications.

I've been working on a design for a carbide V tool to use with VCW and as soon as I get around to pushing my own stuff through I'll post a couple photos. Possible experment with diameters various sizes ¼ - 1 with different angles between 20°, 120° with possible a spiral to reduce chatter marks.

As I've viewed your plexi photos again, I would think you could have found a better subject to Photo Vcarve. :)

Don
________
Don

Scott
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha running Centroid Acorn

Post by Scott »

Hey Don,

I've always wondered if a downcut spiral v-bit could be made and if it wouldn't do a nice job of vcarving. I would think that it would surely aid in keeping a paint mask in place and reduce chipping.

On the subject of "subjects", I couldn't agree more. :wink:
Scott

RoutnAbout
Vectric Wizard

Post by RoutnAbout »

Scott,
Yes, Any type of spiral or helix, up or down or both can be put on any tool, its just a matter of design and cost. We've been working all 3 shifts 6 days a week, so its been hard to find time to run my own stuff through lately. But I'll get it done as I want to try them out and make several for myself for by spring. But when I do, I'll post photos of the tool and the work.

Don
________
Don