Acrylics - cast vs extruded

This forum is for general discussion about PhotoVCarve.
Saliskor
Model of CNC Machine: Shark pro HD

Acrylics - cast vs extruded

Post by Saliskor »

I'm beginning to experiment with lithophanes in acrylic. I tried the 5x7 .08 sheets from rockier (brown) and a 1/32 round nose and got absolutely stellar results. Much better than in white. They don't sell any other colors or brown in larger size, so I tried a local plastics firm and the have something similar, albeit a little thicker. The problem is they only have extruded, which they say is less brittle. I searched another online wood store and they have cast acrylic only. The acrylic brown that I got from rockier doesn't say extruded or cast, so I'm not sure which it is,

Has anyone used extruded had a problem with it ? Or is it essentially interchangeable with cast for cnc work?

The reason I can't just experiment is that I can only buy a 4x8 sheet for $300 and that's a bit much to just play.

ssflyer
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRSAlpha 96x60

Re: Acrylics - cast vs extruded

Post by ssflyer »

Cast machines much better than extruded. Extruded tends to melt and ball up on your bit.
Ron Sloan

Saliskor

Post by Saliskor »

Great, thank you. That's exactly what I needed to know

Rick

BDM
Vectric Craftsman

Post by BDM »

I 2nd using cast. Once you use that, you'll avoid extruded like the plague. Also save you some money on bits that get melted plastic on them and snap off.

I use this place for cast acrylic and never had any problems: www.delviesplastics.com

kilrabit
Vectric Wizard

Post by kilrabit »

Also the tolerances on cast are much better. Extruded can be .040 off across the sheet, and can be wavy.

Roy

Saliskor

Post by Saliskor »

Great, thanks for the information on the vendor, it looks like they ship internationally, which is great, since I'm in Canada.