Saving to pic files

This forum is for general discussion about PhotoVCarve.
Win Brayer
Model of CNC Machine: Mako CNC Shark HD

Saving to pic files

Post by Win Brayer »

When I complete the setup process for a new tool path and go to save, the only option available is .tap. How do I save as a .pvc file to carve the project????

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: Saving to pic files

Post by mtylerfl »

Win Brayer wrote:When I complete the setup process for a new tool path and go to save, the only option available is .tap. How do I save as a .pvc file to carve the project????
I see you have a Mako CNC Shark HD. Are you certain you are using the correct Post Processor for that machine? If you are, then perhaps the .tap IS what your machine uses (a .pvc file is NOT a toolpath file).

Normally, it's just a matter of selecting the Post Processor that is applicable for your machine, calculate and save the toolpaths then go carve!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

tonydude
Vectric Apprentice

Post by tonydude »

Go to file click save as. That will save the pvc file so you can import it into vcarve program. Use this post processor for the shark. See attachment

Tony
Attachments
pp.JPG

Win Brayer
Model of CNC Machine: Mako CNC Shark HD

Post by Win Brayer »

What about the save at the bottom of the last step? This produces a TAP file. Does the TAP file work with Carve Pro? How do I proceed to carve the file?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

What are you actually trying to do?

If you want to cut a file directly from PhotoVCarve then you save the toolpaths to a TAP (or other file depending on your chosen Post Processor) at the last step and then load that file into the control software of your machine and cut away.

If you want to load a PhotoVCarve job into VCarve then do as Tony says once you've calculated all the toolpaths in PhotoVCarve. It's the PVC file that you import into VCarve not the TAP file. When you import it into VCarve you can then integrate it with vectors etc there and output the toolpaths from VCarve.

Tutorial for importing PhotoVCarve into VCarve is here - http://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V8 ... C_GEN.html

Tutorials for using PhotoVCarve on it's own are here - http://support.vectric.com/training-mat ... hotovcarve

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Tony,

I assumed you were cutting directly from PhotoVCarve. You didn't initially mention whether you owned any other software.

So - as Adrian asked...what are you trying to do? Cut from PhotoVCarve, or cut from another Vectric software product (VCarve Pro or VCarve Desktop)?
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

tonydude
Vectric Apprentice

Post by tonydude »

Michael,

When I do photos, first I do the pic in photo vcarve, save it as a pvc file and import them into vcarve pro. This way I can have a frame around it if I want.

Tony
Attachments
3.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi Tony,

Yes, you would need to do it that way if you want a frame around it. I don't know what the goal is for the OP. We don't even know if he owns VCarv or just PhotoVCarve.

BTW, you do beautiful work! (I see I accidentally addressed one of my earlier responses to you instead of the OP - I wasn't asking you what the goal is, rather I was asking the OP. My mistake. )
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC