Finishing problem

This forum is for general discussion about PhotoVCarve.
Plett Millwork
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna D Series

Finishing problem

Post by Plett Millwork »

I had good success cutting a picture, stained it and gave it a light sanding to reveal the details. However, when I applied the spray finish (semi-gloss lacquer) much of the detail seemed to get wiped out. The piece was cut from hard Maple. I've had this happen before, much to my frustration.

Is there any way to redeem this project or do I have to begin again? Am I using the wrong finish/sheen? Is my set-up in PhotoVCarve wrong?

It seems there must be a way to cut a picture and finish it, getting a satisfactory result - I am at a loss and rather gun-shy at this point to bring any of these projects beyond the stain and sand stage.

I've attached the screen shot of the PhotoVCarve set-up and a couple pics of the project.

Aim at heaven and you will get earth thrown in. Aim at earth and you get neither.
C. S. Lewis
Attachments
PhotoVCarve screen shot.png
DSC_0215[1].JPG
DSC_0210[1].JPG

MalcolmLKoch
Model of CNC Machine: Nema 23; 2448 cncroutrpart.com kit

Re: Finishing problem

Post by MalcolmLKoch »

Since you have a couple of jobs you don't like you can use them to experiment. I would explore old techniques of antique furniture restoration. Use a bleaching technique to lighten the darkness of the boards. I'm assuming you have a darker colored stain which is infiltrating the grooves of the wood as routed. My thinking is the spray is "pooling" in the valleys leaving a much darker effect. And that you may be trying for the sepia tone similar to the print. You might try making your own solution of black walnut dye. Take some black walnut bark or husks and boil to a concentrate. (Much about this on the internet.) Make a wash you'd apply with a muslin pad so as not to infill the valleys of the wood. You can thin the wash with alcohol to lighten the effect. There is a Danish product called Epifanes, a spar varnish bar none, which, when used ONLY with Epifanes brush thinner does a marvelous job of sealing and after a month is food safe (use several coats for food application such as goblets). With Epifanes you don't taste the wood and it is very effective against alcohol solvents such as bar tops. :D

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

Hmmmm,

Based on what you said above, it seems you are satisfied with the engraving, then it seems you are satisfied with the staining.

So - they it seems that you get dissatisfied at the clearcoat point.

Finishing is one of those things that is more art than science.

It is going to take a lot of trial and practice.

Why are you gun shy? You are 2 projects in - that's not cause to be gun shy.

Try 50 or 500 different things until you land on what you like.

There are at least 100 different correct answers and maybe 500 wrong answers.

At to this ONE thing - maybe a gloss clear coat is the wrong approach --- Try - (ON that one you already have) - try an eggshell or satin top coat.
I have very good results with Minwax Spray poly satin finish.

BUT - don't throw in the towel after 1-2 tries - you need to WORK at it.
Give up after 500 and you are still not close.

Also - there are internet tutorials on "glazing" look that up and do MANY trials on glazing.

Make things just for trials.

I spend a large amount of time and effort just to try different finishing techniques, drying oils, lacquers, varnishes, paints, brands, materials, methods. That's how you get to know this stuff.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

I would say that Leo is spot on with what he says, you need to be prepared to spend time experimenting with different woods, different finishes & finishing techniques until you hit on what you feel works best for you but then still keep trying new things as you may well come up with something better, it's more of a marathon than a sprint lol. try cutting the same job a few times on the same board & try different finishes with each that way you will have a good reference point. Gloss is probably not the best finish for something like this as you will get far to much light reflection which makes seeing any detail more difficult.