Carving Pencil Sketches

This forum is for general discussion about PhotoVCarve.
Tony Mac
Vectric Alumni

Carving Pencil Sketches

Post by Tony Mac »

This PhotoVCarvedesign is based on a Free Clipart sample from Dover Clipart and I would recommend registering to get the free samples every week.

Apart from Laser Machining, I'm not aware of any other way of CNC machining this type of sketch?

The design is scaled to 24" high and cut 0.08" deep and should take less than an hour to cut!

I will try and cut the piece this week and post the pictures.

Ths image below steps through the process of loading the image, sizing, toolpathing and previewing the results.

Tony
Attachments
Golden_Cat.gif
Animated Gif Showing the process
(741.79 KiB) Downloaded 372 times

Tony Mac
Vectric Alumni

Post by Tony Mac »

I cut the Pencil sketch of the Golden Cat into Clear Plexiglass / Perspex today using a 60 degree included angle 0.1mm tip diameter engraving cutter.

The material is 4" x 4" x 1/8th (100mm x 100mm x 3mm) thick the Max Carving Depth = 0.015" (0.35 mm) with 120% line spacing and it took just over 10 minutes to engrave.

The key to making the process work is 'the contrast' between the material surface and the machined areas. For this project I simply painted the machined grooves with black enamel paint and wiped the excess off the surface using thinners.

Here is the Finished piece

The engraved surface doesn't look very good untl it's painted, as you can see below,

Tony