What photo resolution for Lithophanes

This forum is for general discussion about PhotoVCarve.
tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Re: What photo resolution for Lithophanes

Post by tmerrill »

I also find that Aspires calculation of the expected machining time is always almost exactly double of what it actually turns out to be. Just an interesting point I wanted to mention
Graham,

You may find this FAQ of interest:

http://support.vectric.com/aspire-quest ... ining-time

Tim

hamrx8

Post by hamrx8 »

Thanks Tim that explains it, and good to know. :)

alterimage
Model of CNC Machine: Zenbot 24x24, Hitachi m12vc

Post by alterimage »

I have answered my question.

After 9 months getting my system running I have cut some lithophanes and have an answer to my original question.

Speaking as a photographer not a machinist, good results can be obtained with 125 dots per inch resolution in the original photo and 1/16 inch diameter ball nose cutter. If you have small specular highlights on a smoth toned area, (bright spot on the models nose), it needs to be removed or the tool will dig a big hole and it will look strange. Detail will be fine and hard to distinguish from using a 0.005 inch diameter tip v bit using 250 dpi. Although I use Vcarve Pro for my other work, I opted for different software to do lithophanes as it let me control the resolution and not have to guess what was being used by the program. I use 0.008 inch resolution at 125 dpi with the 1/16 inch ball nose bit. My carving time for a 5x7 image is about 2 hours. The "1 million pixel" number that Vectric apparently uses would work fine for up to an 8x8 inch image, probably larger as most people are not that critical of the results.

I love Vcarve Pro for making folk art carvings.