3D Grayscale Machining

This forum is for general discussion about PhotoVCarve.
SteveMI
Model of CNC Machine: Debecee

3D Grayscale Machining

Post by SteveMI »

My needs and budget can be met with Cut2D, but I wanted to see if any of the bundles would be an advantage. The PhotoVCarve feature of 3D Grayscale Machining looked appealing.

After working with the trial version, looking in the forum and searching the internet, PVC doesn't seem to be a useful item in my case. The lithopane or photo cutting are not of interest. I understand that a library of 3D files can be purchased from Vector Art 3D, but getting custom ones made would be cost prohibited. I have Corel X4 and tried some of the tips in using that, but the time to do even simple conversions is too much. Another program looked promising, but it doesn't seem PVC will read their output files.

My interest is in using artwork similar to the example shown on the PVC feature page.

This post is to see if I missed anything that would make conversion of a raster graphic to a 3D grayscale file. The $1,000+ packages are not acceptable.

Steve.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: 3D Grayscale Machining

Post by Adrian »

It's not something that I've done a lot of but I wouldn't say the time to do a conversion is that long.

Have you gone through the instructions in this thread - http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2192

You don't need PhotoVCarve to use the models at http://www.vectorart3d.com you can use those with Cut2D in conjunction with the free 3D machinist software.

SteveMI

Post by SteveMI »

I read the reference thread and picked up a couple of pointers, but it seems that process is a way to "trick" PVC into a 3D simulated carving. That is interesting, but not an answer to my question.

Consider if a customer were to approach me for a single or limited run of products with engraving that they want based on a raster graphic. I have no problem with "Prices for contract work start at US$200" at Vector Art 3D for a single custom development of a model. If I was quoting for a commercial company that would be reasonable. Trying to explain to a retail person about that amount just for the art on a non-corporate job would be a show stopper.

What is the file extension of a 3D greyscale file that PVC would recognize?

Steve.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

The 3D greyscale files are just normal bitmaps. Bitmap extensions such as BMP,JPG, PNG etc will work.

If you want an engraving of a raster graphic then that's different to a 3D model and is something you could accomplish with VCarve. If you want to do 3D models properly then there is no substitute for Aspire. The cost is proportional to the increased value of the work you produce.

SteveMI

Post by SteveMI »

I've decided to pass on the PVC. The Gray scale Machining looked inviting, but not exactly what I thought it was from the web page photo. To make real use of it would take learning other graphic software that generated the grey scale like maps or gaming.

I have several versions of other software and can create 3D models. I was interested in PVC to take less time.

Steve.

hockeyguy01
Model of CNC Machine: cast cnc

Post by hockeyguy01 »

I have a question can you take a gray scale object do a 3d version and with photo v carve and move the file to aspire and touch up in-perfections with the components feature? I have a trail version of both so I cant see if it will work.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Just put the greyscale image straight into Aspire (use the Create Component from Bitmap button) and do it directly. There's no need to use PhotoVCarve.

hockeyguy01
Model of CNC Machine: cast cnc

Post by hockeyguy01 »

Thanks I will try that. Saves me one extra program to buy.

M Rabin
Model of CNC Machine: shark

Post by M Rabin »

I have a question. I copied Adrian's picture of the Spartan helmet and lettering and put it into PhotoVcarve and it didn't come out anything like your preview-- what were your settings?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Have a read through the PDF document that Sara posted here - http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 746#p83746