laguna IQ cnc router

This forum is for general discussion about PhotoVCarve.
Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Re: laguna IQ cnc router

Post by Xxray »

Ok here is an older thread for those interested, as far as I recall this is about the only guy who has ever done portraits in wood very good [superb actually] on a regular basis. Unfortunately he wouldn't share much of his methods and stopped posting years ago, still an interesting read and a window into what is possible if you work out a correct system.

http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14396

[This explains why he was so coy about sharing info and dropped off the forum http://www.pictures-in-wood.se/, he sells them and doesn't want to tutor competition, understandable]

Glad this came up, always meant to see if I could duplicate his success, don't see why I couldn't. Once it warms up here am going to give it a shot in earnest. Along with having settings fine tuned, he must use a combo of sanding and staining to make the low points stand out, and he must have figured a way to do it fairly easily and routinely. Anyone trying to do this must be prepared for multiple failures and alot of frustration before success is achieved, unless you get lucky.
Doug

Dorothea
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Post by Dorothea »

Buck Deer Silhouette.1.jpg
IMG_1290.JPG
this did not turn out very well.. I think we are using the wrong bit..trying it again today with a 1/8" end mill ... hope it will look better. deer was not clearly defined and the wood was fuzzy

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

Must agree, does knot look very good !
I think too you are missing a few required steps, such as sanding and staining. Definition requires depth and shading, or at least the illusion of depth [via shading], and you will never, ever get that with a 1 step cut process. On the other hand, if you are simply looking to recreate a pocketed 1 color silhouette in wood with 1 step, that should be very doable.[doubt if an endmill is the proper tool for the job though] For fine detail you'd need a vbit, etching bit or tapered ballnose.
Doug

GEdward
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: 24 X 36 3 Axis

Post by GEdward »

You are correct in saying that "the deer was not clearly defined". Photo VCarve is picking up on the smudgy areas surrounding the silhouette, especially around the antlers, and incorporating them into your image. I would start by cleaning up the image. One program I use quite a bit is is Paint. It comes already installed with Windows so it is free; always a plus. Once you load the image switch to "edit with Paint 3D" and there you will find a nifty tool kit that has a marker, pens, brushes etc. that you can vary in size from 1 to 100 pixels and tune the opacity from 1 to 100%. I have cleaned up some pretty crappy images using it. If you are not using Windows or are otherwise inclined you will need to find some way of cleaning up that image.

Also, Xray is making a valid point regarding your tool selection although if you are looking to create a pocketed silhouette your 1/8 end mill choice should work assuming it will fit into the smallest antler detail you wish to reproduce. It looks like you are using a rather large line spacing %. While the slide bar only offers a 100% - 200% range you can override that and type in a smaller value, say 30% for a 1/8 end mill if it is indeed a solid pocket your are after. That should help clean up your edges a bit once you have a good clean image to work off of.

Dorothea
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Post by Dorothea »

thank all of you for your input.. I am still learning. I operate a cnc mill at work but this is indeed different software than I'm used to.
I'm having trouble in PhotoVcarve ...have a png file off the internet but it doesn't look right when preview tool path. I think I'm not using the correct post processor in photovcarve.. I have a Laguna IQ ..does anyone know which post processor I should be using?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

The preview is nothing to do with the post processor. The post processor only comes into when you save the toolpaths to cut. If there is something not right with the preview then you have a setting wrong (for the result you want) somewhere else.

Unless of course you're talking about a preview in your Laguna control software rather than the preview in PhotoVCarve.