Willys Jeep

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
SekA

Willys Jeep

Post by SekA »

Dear all,
I promise that this is my last post this year.
It represents on of my best toys for (all ages of) boys projects.
As many other projets this was also published in our model magazine and was also built by some of our readers.
I gathered a lot of info about the Jeep from the web. Studied all varieties that were already built from paper toys to metal ones. And there are many out there.
As for me wood is a king of materials mine had to be a scrollsaw dust project and latter on also a mill dust project. Inhaling wood dust is not yet legally prosecuted. No need to say it only took me couple hours to transfer the project from CAD to VCarve pro including adding hundrets of those very important tabs/bridges that hold small pieces to the raw material.
Again I tried to add as much details as i could. My philosopy is that the builder that is not experienced enough may ommit some features and add them later on when his hands start to obey orders from his brain.
I will present photos of my creation and also slightly adapted creation from one of our readers who was kind enough to send me photos of his work.
I hope that you can spot the engine coolet cap on the third image (_011.jpg), he ,he...
With best wishes
Aleksander
Attachments
_Vectric web_003.jpg
_Vectric web_006.jpg
_Vectric web_011.jpg
_Vectric web_013.jpg
_Vectric web_014.jpg
_Vectric web_001.jpg

Bob_S
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot desktop Max

Re: Willys Jeep

Post by Bob_S »

Aleksander;

Very Nice work

How did you process these?
I have Aspire, and have done a lot of 2 1/2D work.
Now I would like to start working in 3d, and was thinking about using SketchUp to build my models. I was then going to cut them using V carve/ Aspire, but I am really not sure if SketchUp is a good place to start?
It looks like you used Autodesk Inventor for some of this, but I found it would be cheaper to buy a real Jeep, then get involved with Autodesk. Could you explain your workflow and suggest any alternatives if it was Autodesk?
Thanks
Bob
Even though you are on the right track - you will get run over if you just sit there.
Will Rogers

ilsaarin
Vectric Craftsman

Post by ilsaarin »

Hello

I am working in software company which develops and sells CAD software for different areas of engineering. Inventor is pretty expensive and Autodesk also changed their update policy recently. Yes, you guessed right: Customer pays even more. Autodesk should be our competitor in this country but honestly, they really aren't. Dassault Systemes is.

3D-cad software are expensive and our product is also quite pricey but not as expensive as Inventor. There is one software, though, which should be considered if you are interested about 3D. I don't have any connections to that company but I know really well how it feels when you would like to learn 3D-cad but you can't afford it. I have been in same situation before I applied a job from CAD-software company. I have given this tip to some of my own prospects which have had really small budget. Tools are not as good and effective as, for example, we have in our software but you'll manage.

SekA

Post by SekA »

All my presented models were modeled in Autodesk Inventor. Drawings were made and sawed as DWG, Autocad drawing format as well as DXF, common file exchange format. The last was saved as version 2000 and imported - opened in VCarve pro. No problems here. Than Edit - find open curves and close them, nest, add tabs, calculate toolpaths. Voila. Parts were ready for milling in couple hours. Before VCarve it took me ages (drawing tiny circles to trim lines in function of tabs production; picking every individual line for toolpath definition, oh my goodness)
I would not like to start a non productive debate on which software to use. Each person has own opinion and everybody claims his opinion is the best. It depends what you do, what you want the software to do for you, do you know someone that already uses the software - you will need some support, pricing etc...
I have also just started playing with Sketchup but only in function of creating simple 3D objects to be exported into Google earth. Limited succes. I do not know the software yet. Before you start using it you have to check if it is a part/single piece modeller or you can also model assemblies, produce drawings. If the answer is negative then I suggest you do not invest your time.
I pick up software that also provides me good support.
Once I was using Rhino 3D which is surface modeller similar to AutoCAD and very popular. it has large user group, good support good price etc.
Hope this helps.
Aleksander

ilsaarin
Vectric Craftsman

Post by ilsaarin »

Hello

My intention was not to say that Inventor is bad software. It isn't. It is only expensive and not an option to any hobbyist. I only wanted to give a tip to those who would like to have 3D-CAD for really cheap price. I also agree with you what you said about what good cad software should do.

Ilsu

spencer kemp
Model of CNC Machine: techno

Post by spencer kemp »

would you mind sharing this file

Midnight Robotics
Model of CNC Machine: 24" x 48" router table

Post by Midnight Robotics »

Check out this link
http://www.struckcorp.com/mini-beep/index.html
You could enlarge your plans, add some mechanics from this site and have a wooden willys jeep that you can drive around like an ATV.

georgemon
Model of CNC Machine: DIY 2 meters - 3 meters design

Post by georgemon »

Hello friends, you shared the dxf or another files design? please and thanks

llwood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Maverick

Post by llwood »

SekA wrote:I promise that this is my last post this year.
I sure hope not!
SekA wrote:...this was also published in our model magazine....
Which model magazine?

Thanks,
Andy