My first REAL job

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
js11110
Vectric Wizard

My first REAL job

Post by js11110 »

Well, not really.... I'm not getting paid for it. I made this for my boss to say thanks for letting me use the CNC mills at work to make my router. The material is corian 11" X 25". The piece is much better looking in person than the picture shows. I figured some of you might be interested. Also, for those of you that do this for a living, what would something like this sell for? Just curious, I'm not looking to do this for a living, but if I can make a few extra $$$, why not?

Jason
Attachments
API.jpg
(513.07 KiB) Downloaded 559 times

dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Post by dighsx »

Looks good Jason. How did you paint it? I too would be interesting in how much something like that would cost. I haven't sold anything I've made, partly because I'm lazy, partly because I'm chicken and partly because I have no idea how to price things.
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)

CRFultz
Vectric Wizard

Post by CRFultz »

Jason I figure the cost by time invested....
Photo V Carving usually haves a higher price tag because of the time involved
editing of the picture.

This is just a $hobby$ for me so I'm not out to make it a job...I have one of those...don't want another.
I try to make the hobby pay for itself, so I keep the money separate to buy more materials and tooling.
For the most part i break even cuz I make alot of freebies for friends and family.

A sign like the one you did (nice job by the way) I would charge apx. $40.00 to $50.00

1 by 2 foot corian plus paint...plus wear on the tooling...??

I kinda figure 20 a hour give or take...it must work for me cuz my hobby account is not in the red :D
I'm sure the pro's charge more ( at least I think they do)

Hope this helps...
Chuck

js11110
Vectric Wizard

Post by js11110 »

Thanks for the input guys! Jay- I originally was going to use a brush to paint it, but it wasn't coming out the way I wanted it to so I ended up spray painting it instead. Heres another question for you guys--- can you seal over corian? This sign will be outdoors (though under a overhang) and I don't want the paint to start peeling. Is there a problem with shooting it with a coat of clear?

Jason

dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Post by dighsx »

I don't see any problem clear coating it. I've painted some corian sundials that have been outside for the entire summer and are holding up well.

As for the pricing I think part of the reason I don't try to sell stuff is I'm afraid I'd take the fun out of the hobby by making it a job.
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)

CRFultz
Vectric Wizard

Post by CRFultz »

dighsx wrote:I don't see any problem clear coating it. I've painted some corian sundials that have been outside for the entire summer and are holding up well.

As for the pricing I think part of the reason I don't try to sell stuff is I'm afraid I'd take the fun out of the hobby by making it a job.
Exactly right Jay...
if you get to the point where you start taking orders then it becomes a job....
I used to turn pens on my lathe....i sold so many I'll never turn another one...all of a sudden it was something I wasn't looking forward in doing...I would get off work and turn pens...
I don't want this to turn out the same way...
I don't look for work ..they come to me and i tell them what it would cost...
unless she's real pretty then she probaly will get it for free :D

js11110
Vectric Wizard

Post by js11110 »

Oh, I hear you guys. I don't want it to become not fun anymore, but I would like to be able to afford to do the things I want to do for me and for gifts without everything coming out of my pocket. :) That sign was a pretty easy thing to do, and if I could get a few of them, it would keep me in lithophanes for the entire Christmas season (gifts)!

Jason

Rusty
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Homebuilt

Post by Rusty »

Looks great Jason. I like working with corian, but it is hard to get freebies to experiment with.
Could you please give the details how you painted it? What type of paint did you use?
Thanks.
Rusty

Colin P F
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Colin P F »

:D Depending the type of engraving you are doing, you can use Cellulose paint from a tin (the older and thicker the better) and using a credit card type of material just scrape the paint into the engraving and then remove the excess with the same card wiping the excess paint off onto a piece of newspaper (even better use a phone book it will last for years) leave for a few mins and then using a lint free rag wrapped tightly around a 2inch x 2inch piece of corian pour a drop or two of thinners and just wipe of the paint, when the rag is full of paint just move along to another clean spot on the rag and carry on removing the paint. obviously when using a Vcut this method may not be as good due to it overfilling the Vcut but still gives a very uniqe finish, but you have the option to then to use spray paint. I have done signs this way for 15 years in Corian and they are just as fresh even without Laquering.

I think I should add, that I mainly do small engraving work so this may not apply to you guys with the big beds.

Tip - I put a small amount of Methalated spirits in the thinners to make it less harsh.

Tip - Never scrape the excess paint back ito the tin.

Cheers,

Colin

js11110
Vectric Wizard

Post by js11110 »

MJR wrote:Looks great Jason. I like working with corian, but it is hard to get freebies to experiment with.
Could you please give the details how you painted it? What type of paint did you use?
Thanks.
Rusty

I had to buy the corian for this job, because I wanted something black or close to it. Got it on eBAY for $8 a square foot. I'd rather NOT buy from eBAY because the shipping is usually more than the price for the corian itself. I just used regular spray paint to paint it, and then did like Colin said and wiped it with a clean rag and some acetone. Took awhile to get all the tiny details clean of paint, but it was worth it.

Jason

dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Post by dighsx »

I'm sure cleaning the paint was a pain in the a** Jason, but it looks fantastic. Around the logo really came out nice.
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)

js11110
Vectric Wizard

Post by js11110 »

Jay,

Do you live on these forums? I thought I was addicted! Maybe theres some kind of program for us? I replied to MJR, went and looked at the rest of the forum, refreshed the page, and you had replied to every section! We need to get you some help, brother. :D

Jason

dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Post by dighsx »

Am I a junky, yes. But I have a trick to stay on top of the forums. I go to this page http://vectric.com/forum/search.php?search_id=newposts It'll show you all the new posts since the last time you came to the forums.

Also I get the emails when something new has been posted, so if I'm at the computer (which I am most of the time) I'll open a browser and check in.

The last two weeks of September I'm going on vacation and I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I'm sure I'll get the shakes from computer/internet/vectric forum withdrawal.

I need to find a 12 step program that has beer drinking as 11 of the 12 steps. hehe
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)

Jason Marsha
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Jason Marsha »

Good looking sign Jason. Your boss should be very pleased with such a marvellous effort.

Jason

Les_linton
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ViperX7

Post by Les_linton »

Jay,

Laptop and wireless internet card....

You'll be ok.

:wink:

Les