Circuit Board

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
Jason Marsha
Vectric Craftsman

Circuit Board

Post by Jason Marsha »

Here are two pictures of a circuit board which was profiled with tabs two at
each corner ,pocketed and drilled with a 0.8mm end mill in VCarvePro beta.

I think a 0.5mm end mill may be better the only issue is the size of the component
hole if it is used to drill.

All processes were combined into one file and the total machining time was
24 min at 1016mm/min (40" min)

Some small errors occured because I restarted the machine after an
adjustment to the plunge depth.

The endmill is from think & tinker.

Jason
Attachments
CircuitPic2.JPG
(131.71 KiB) Downloaded 431 times
CircuitPic1.JPG
(123.28 KiB) Downloaded 553 times

Perry
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Modified Shopbot PRT96

You machined all copper

Post by Perry »

Hi Jason. I noticed that you machined all the copper not required for the traces. Is this for cosmetics? I have done a number of boards and used the method known as "Isolation Routing" where you contour a cut path only around each trace. Far quicker.

An aside... The board does look GREAT! :D

Jason Marsha
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Jason Marsha »

Thanks Perry,

I would have to say it is for cosmetic purposes. The first toolpath in this cut is isolation routing but I just chose to continue and machine all the excess copper away. The board is only 3.5" x 2.5" so time is not an issue.

Isolation rout: 4 min
Pocket: 7 min

Jason

Perry
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Modified Shopbot PRT96

2 Sided Boards?

Post by Perry »

I am presently working on a project with an electrical engineer with regards to a battery operated robot c/w mobile platform. The issue of using my cnc to make his boards has come up. I have designed some of his boards from his schematics, layed them out. I have yet to cut one due the fact that: a) I have lost the registraion key for my old QCadd software though I have other programs (Orcad, CircuitMaker etc...) I can't export in a format that is usable. I have made some designs in Corel before and exported as a dxf.
And b) I have never made a 2 sided board, ever! and the design for the drive board for this robot motors are (2) sided. Any suggestions for a positive and accurate locating technique? I really do need to get going on this.
Thanks Jason.

Jason Marsha
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Jason Marsha »

To be honest this is my first attempt at routing a circuit board but I did think of that scenario yesterday and I have not come up with a concrete solution yet.
I will play with a few ideas and let you know.

Jason

Jason Marsha
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Jason Marsha »

Perry,
Check this link out.

http://www.brusselsprout.org/PCB-Routing/

Jason

Paco
Vectric Wizard

Post by Paco »

Perry,

I haven't yet learn it all about Eagle but I did notice that it can export in EPS format... what about registring with small dowel pins; there must (might) be screw holes on those board.

Wemme
Vectric Wizard

Post by Wemme »

Nice work.
I have emailed think & tinker but haven't had any responses from them. Re international shipping cost.
does anyone know if shipping is extra or included?
What where they like to deal with?
Need to get some pcb drills for test fixtures.
Regards
Bart

Les_linton
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ViperX7

Post by Les_linton »

Bart,

I have ordered bits and drills from them that I use for inlays and just recently got some 1/16" ball nose endmills.

All of the tooling that I have received from them has worked very well. Some are really tiny, and I have gotten good information on feeds and speeds. I generally don't go as fast as they say I can, but one of these days I will do some of the test that they suggest for getting acurate data.

Shipping is not included in the price.

Take care and keep making chips..

Les

Wemme
Vectric Wizard

Post by Wemme »

Les_linton wrote:Bart,
I have ordered bits and drills from them that I use for inlays and just recently got some 1/16" ball nose endmills.
All of the tooling that I have received from them has worked very well. Some are really tiny, and I have gotten good information on feeds and speeds. I generally don't go as fast as they say I can, but one of these days I will do some of the test that they suggest for getting acurate data.
Shipping is not included in the price.
Take care and keep making chips..
Les
Hi Les,
They look like they have some very nice tools. pitty they don't answer their emails.
what sort of feed rates can you get with a 1/16 ball noise?
Regards
Bart

Les_linton
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ViperX7

Post by Les_linton »

Bart,

I used them for a 3D file using Vector Art 3D Machinist and I was cutting red oak at 3 inches per second 1/8 inch depth and 0.013 stepover. I think I could have gone faster, but this was the center piece on a mantel breast that I was working on, and was just being careful.

If you want, email me at dovetail_7@grics.net and give me the information that you are looking for, and I will call them next week.

I have an install scheduled for Monday, but if I get back in time I can do it them otherwise I will call them on Wednesday.

I'm surprised that they haven't gotten back with you.

Let me know.

Les