successful experiment

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro

successful experiment

Postby MJMStudio » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:04 am

[/attachment]
antler2.jpg
Cherry filled with epoxy, sanded and then fumed with ammonia, came out like I hoped.
Attachments
antler1.jpg
MJMStudio
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:26 pm
Model of CNC Machine: CNC pirahna XL

Re: successful experiment

Postby scottp55 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:50 am

So the Antlers are still filled with epoxy?
Heard of fuming Oak(Had a Gustav Stickley "Library Table" at one time.....never thought about other woods as I thought it was the tannic acid in Oak it reacted to.
What strength ammonia and time exposure did you use?
NICE subtle effect! Pleasing!!

Fun playing and having it come out the way you envisioned it....Ain't it :)
Congrats!
scott
scott
User avatar
scottp55
Vectric Wizard
 
Posts: 3056
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 11:30 am
Location: Kennebunkport, Maine, US
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP10

Re: successful experiment

Postby ezurick » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:23 am

Interesting... but what do you mean by "fumed with ammonia". Could you explain that part of the process a bit more please? Also, if you get a chance, I'd like to see more pics of the completed project, maybe from different angles instead of just close up.
User avatar
ezurick
Vectric Craftsman
 
Posts: 255
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:27 pm
Model of CNC Machine: Chinese 6040

Re: successful experiment

Postby MJMStudio » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:03 pm

10% Janitorial strength from hardware store, regular household works but takes longer. These were fumed in a 2'X4'X2' plastic covered bin with about a pint for two sessions, get about three days each.
I have found that it works on maple too almost a smoked look,
The effect in white oak goes about 1/8'' deep , I did a Vcarve on a piece looked great left the bottom white with a gradual change on sides. but had the piece turned wrong way. and it was a nice 1/4 sawn mistake.
MJMStudio
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:26 pm
Model of CNC Machine: CNC pirahna XL

Re: successful experiment

Postby scottp55 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:12 pm

Lee,
Just one of the Google search results;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ammonia_fuming
The book "The Furniture of Gustav Stickley" goes into in great detail for a few pages.
Regular household ammonia won't really do it. I stuck one piece of White Oak in a large clear bag "Chamber" in the greenhouse a few yrs back...and it was 4 days before a slight color change was observed.

Also excuse me for furthering the fallacy saying "Tannic Acid" instead of "Tannins".....I read too many old books,and have heard Tannic Acid from various sources with may years experience from brain-tanning hide Native Americans, to professional tea-tasters, to my Dad, and other trusted folk.
JUST looked up Gustav on Fuming and he specifically said "Tannic Acid" :oops:

"While tannic acid is a specific type of tannin (plant polyphenol), the two terms are sometimes (incorrectly) used interchangeably. The long-standing misuse of the terms, and its inclusion in scholarly articles has compounded the confusion. This is particularly widespread in relation to green tea and black tea, both of which contain tannin but not tannic acid.[3]"

Learn something new every day :oops:
scott
scott
User avatar
scottp55
Vectric Wizard
 
Posts: 3056
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 11:30 am
Location: Kennebunkport, Maine, US
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP10

Re: successful experiment

Postby jay pieper » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:52 pm

Also on the subject, I have used differen't strengths of green and black tea to get the depths
of color I was looking for in various kinds of wood, cedar and pine seem to work well for deep
color changes and interesting grain patterns. Cider vinegar also will achieve similar results
and you can use multiple applications to get darker. That's my 2 cents worth.
jay pieper
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:39 pm
Location: Shawano Wisconsin
Model of CNC Machine: laguna swift 4x4

Re: successful experiment

Postby MJMStudio » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:16 pm

finished Box
Attachments
antlr.JPG
MJMStudio
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:26 pm
Model of CNC Machine: CNC pirahna XL

Re: successful experiment

Postby scottp55 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:06 pm

LIKE it!!! :D
scott
scott
User avatar
scottp55
Vectric Wizard
 
Posts: 3056
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 11:30 am
Location: Kennebunkport, Maine, US
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP10

Re: successful experiment

Postby highpockets » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:19 pm

I'm with Scott, I like it!
I really like how subtle the antlers are.

Thanks for sharing.
John
Maker of Chips
User avatar
highpockets
Vectric Wizard
 
Posts: 2417
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:04 pm
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Re: successful experiment

Postby dwilli9013 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:45 pm

All in on the like aspect. The front graphic carve is just subtle enough to tie it all together. Sure to be well received. Thanks for sharing. :lol: :lol: :lol:
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli
User avatar
dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
 
Posts: 1221
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:45 am
Location: Machesney Park Illinois
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Re: successful experiment

Postby jay pieper » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:26 pm

Turned out perfect !!! very nice design, and well thought execution of plan
Great job thanks for posting your project
jay pieper
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:39 pm
Location: Shawano Wisconsin
Model of CNC Machine: laguna swift 4x4

Re: successful experiment

Postby MJMStudio » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:43 am

sun.jpg
I actually took a better picture in the daylight, need more shop light.
MJMStudio
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:26 pm
Model of CNC Machine: CNC pirahna XL


Return to VCarve - Gallery

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests